wolverine 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, couldnt find any info on this...

is it okay to use 10w-30 dino in a yamaha wolverine? im not sure what year it is, i think its a 94', or 96'. when i changed the oil out at the end of summer, the guy at the local carquest said that it would be okay to put in carquest 10w-30 in it. he said it was a lil thinner than the 10w-40 i was gonna put in. he also said that the car oil is pretty much the same as the atv kind. i do believe that they are the same, however i always thought that 10-40 was the same weight cold as 10-30 except the 40 is thicker at operating temp. also, i noticed i couldnt find an oil filter on the atv? there is a little strainer type thing that goes in where the plug is for the oil. is that the filter? is this guy feeding me a bunch of crap or what!?
thanks for the replies!!!

What weight does your owner's manual recommend? There are big differences in the additive packages between 30-weight oils and 40-weight oils. 10W oils should have similar flow characteristics at low temperatures, regardless of the operating temperature weight.

It sounds like you might not have an owner's manual. I'd strongly recommend biting the bullet and ordering one from your local dealer. It will point out where the oil filter is, what other regular maintenance you need to do on the driveline, etc.

There is a cartridge type oil filter in the engine. It's behind the small cover that the oil cooler lines hook up to. No need to remove the oil lines. Just remove the 3 bolts and pull it away from the engine.
Napa should be able to cross-reference the filter for you. The Yamaha part # is 1UY-13440-02-00.

Since you're in Maine, I'd use a synthetic oil like the Rotella T 5w40 or some other synthetic heavy duty oil.

cool, thanks for the input! do u guys think it will harm the engine if i run the carquest oil for like 2 tankfuls of gas? also, what are the ussual intervals for changing atv oil?

thanks again!!

u guys are the best!

as long as you change the carquest oil at or before the normal oil change intervault, it should not harm the motor.
your manual should state the OCI.
if it doesn't have an hour meter, then putting one on would be REAL beneficial for you in maintaining a good OCI.

if i use rotella t 5w-40 syn, will it make the engine leak since its so old? will it be more benefitial for me to use the 15w-40 instead? or maybe switch during the summer and change to the synthetic during the winter? i dont usually ride it much so it wont be the hours of the oci that come first. i ordered a manual and i couldnt find any info on where the fuel filter is. is there one?
dunno.gif

also have u guys heard of the new pre-oiled air filters from readyracing? check em out! they are preoiled with maxxima and only cost 10 bucks! they dont have all models of atv's and dirtbikes, but have quite a few of the populars! im definately gonna be ordering one in the short future!!
cheers.gif

ReadyAirFilters

THANKS AGAIN!!

Every engine is different, but I've used synthetic in motorcycles of that vintage and not had a problem with leaks. Also, you should know that Rotella 5W-40 is a Group III oil, so it's not a "true" synthetic (Group IV or V) and should be extremely seal compatible.

Sorry I don't know anything about your fuel filter location or the air filters you mention...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back