Buell XB9S 984cc Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thought on using Mobil 1300S or Delo 400 15W-40 HD Diesel engine oil in place of 20W-50 Harly Davidson brand oil. I would like to use it year round (march through november) with temp range of 35 to 95 degrees F. I suspect it is as good if not better oil and during the colder months would be better for cold starting. Any concern with not using 20W-50 above 70 degrees F.

Thanks

Wayne

If you are out of warranty, I would say go for it.I have used 15W-40 diesel oils in an air cooled Kawasaki and Suzuki that spec 20W-50 oils with no problems

Slick, what does the owner's manual call for? And, do they give options depending on temperature range?

RevRider

Non-shared sump motorcycles should do very well with the 15-40 Delo, even if 20-50 is the "usual" brew. Delo is a robust oil, and the slightly thinner viscosity will provide higher flow through the oilways. Your bike MAY run cooler with the 15-40!

RevRider

Owners manual indicates for lowest ambient below 40F use 10W-40 and lowest ambient above 40F use 20W-50. They indicate the grade selection should be made for the lowest temperature expected before the next oil change. If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is unavailable then you can use an oil certified for diesel engines CH4. The prefered diesel oil visocsities in order are 20W-50, 15W-50, and 10W-40. As expected they also add that at first opprotunity change back to 100 percent Harley-Davidson oil. I wonder who makes the H_D mineral and synthetic oils with the diesel comment. With the clutch/transmission oil not connected with engine lube oil then go after the Delo 400 with moly. I will likely change every 1000 miles and have 15W-40 CI-4 oild for diesel truck and air cooled outdoor power equipment engines.

Titan I agree that the lower visicosity would likely lower oil temp.

Hootbro Yes out of warranty

Thanks

Wayne

i have it in the sportster as i type. i think while the 15-40's are robust, good cleaning properties, etc, i am going back to the thicker 20-50 in the spring/summer. on a water cooled motor, i think they would be fine all yr, depending on what area of the country you live in, but the 15 40 seemed like it thinned out on me on a stop and creep toy run last fall. it wasn't even warm out either. pinging/ and more engine noise. ran great when we got out back into normal traffic, but...i ran 20-50 pennzoil one change and didn't have the same noise, on another run, and that was in the middle of the summer.
dunno.gif

Group

Possibly a good plan for me is use Delo 400 15W-40 from late october thru may. Switch to 20W-50 during hot summer months. This will leave a lighter oil in for colder months for those nice ride days and keep the thicker oil in for the summer. Any thoughts on a good performing 20W-50 mineral oil without waisting money?

Thanks

Wayne

slick, besides the pennzoil i mentioned, the exxon superflo and tex havoline have both been well reguarded here. actualy, the reg hd "360" dino isn't a bad choice performance wise, just cost alot more for what you get than the others..mentioned beforehand...good luck man

the oil temperatures on the xb stay really cool compared to its bigger harley cousins around 120-150. my dads 04 soft tail
runs around 170-200 oil temp
so a 10-40 would actually be better for the XB engine in theory
esp with a good synthetic like redline ams ect.
regular petroleum 20W-50 would shear to a 40 or even high 30
Redline dose not shear at all so a 10w40 will still be a 10w40
and not shear

Thanks Group

I put the 15W-40 Delo 400 in for the spring and will plan on picking one of the 20W-50 oils for summer. Put a few miles on this morning with 40 degree F. Sounds like it will get to 50 later so will ride some more before it drops to 25 tonight.

Thanks again for the help

Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back