Triumph and Amsoil Testimonial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I have my bike in ths shop for valve adjustment and tune-up. Well I just got an email back from my mechanic so I thought I would share with you.

quote:

Mr Sparks:
Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know what's goin' on with your bike.
I'm waiting on valve shims at this time, had to order three that were not in stock.
The dealer said they should be in Friday. If they do show up, I may be able to finish it
this weekend. Everything else is done except Throttle body sync. Also, everything inside the
engine looks GREAT!! (good oil I guess) Cam journals, bearings etc. all look like new.
You'll get some pics when you come to get it. That's one good thing about digital cameras, instead
of telling someone how much brake pads they have left, I can actually show them.
Call if you need anything. I'll be in touch.

David

I've been running the old formuation of 10w40 (AMF). I'll be switching to the new stuff (MCF) when I get the bike back after the valve adjustment. I've also been running the Amsoil SMF oil filters.

BTW this bike has 15,000 miles on it. The valves are supposed to be looked at at 12k and I was a little late on that, but all seems well.

That is not surprising at all....I have heard the same testimony from guys with 150,000 mi. using synthetics and regular oil change intervals. Good stuff!

What Truimph do you have? I was thinking of getting a Thruxton 900, but after some research, i found that they leak oil. Does yours leak, or have you heard of this?

Jons,

I don't know much about the twins. I like the looks of them and they are cool old school, but to only have one bike I've got to have something with power and capability to run and tour on.

I have a sprint ST, which is a sport touring model. It has an inline triple cylinder that is water cooled and oil cooled. I don't have any leaks on my bike. My bike makes about 110 hp at the rear wheel. A twin might make 60 or so.

You might want to check out the main triumph site and ask those questions.
triumphrat.net

Msparks..

If your mechanic can supply you with the photos (digital), I would love too see how clean it is..

I started to use MCF(10W40) for my last Oil change before I put my bike (Honda-02-CB900F(AKA919)) away for the winter. And for this new session, I will continue to use MCF...

Thanks msparks..

I'm running the 10W-40 MCF with a two-ounce maintenance dose of ARX right now in my ST1100.

This, after a full clean-and-rinse using Chevron Supreme 20W-50.

Msparks

Thanks for the update. I'll try it in my 03 Sprint ST. I also thought I read that Terry Dyson had recommended Redline 10w-40 for motorcycle applications.

Jon S.

My good friend has had an 03 Triumph speedmaster for about 3 years with the same double the Thruxton has. It doesn't leak oil one bit. Neither does my bike.

A very good resource is www.triumphrat.net.

Everything you need to know is there.

I can recommend the triumph....but you want to have a good dealership.

I have to admit that I've got my eye on BMW's new K1200S. Hmmm...bonus time is just about here!

Sorry on the pictures, my mechanic is not a computer person and hasn't been able to email me the pics. I have printed digital photos and they look okay as far as any buildup in the engine it's clean as a whistle. You can't really see good photo's of the cams and such, I'll have to take his word on that.

On another note he did say that my intake valves were "unusually" clean. I then ask if he mean that mine are cleaner than other bikes he works on and he said yes. They are usually built up with carbon and such. I then told him that I run The Amsoil PI (performance improver gas additive) every other tank or so. So I'm glad to truly see that this stuff works. I wish I could have seen the valves for myself, but I trust his word since I don't have other bikes to compare to like he does.

> Mr Sparks: Just wanted to drop you a note to let
> you know what's goin' on with your bike. I'm
> waiting on valve shims at this time, had to order
> three that were not in stock.

Owned a 920 Virago from 11K to 60K miles (still in the family, daughter has it now). Checked the valve clearance at 15K (manual said every 7K), they were right on. Checked them again at 35K, they were still right on. Checked again at 50K, they were still right on. Now, THAT's good lubrication. It's had a variety of oils. All Pennzoil automotive (except once). 20W-50, 50wt radial engine oil, SAE-40. The aircraft oil was for an extended trip where I was going to be encountering some hot conditions. I run SAE-40 in all my bikes all the time now.

Guts of the Virago are shiny as new (had it open to fiddle with starter mechanism). Can't beat that for earl.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I don't plan to ever check them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back