MMM What to use in a TC88B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LC

What other choices of oil would you use if you could not use any Harley oil/ Amsoil or Mobil products?

i have used the delvac 1300 super w/ sucess in my evo 1200. probably work great in the twinn cam. i will probably go to a 20-50 in the summer though. had a little pinging once stuck fender to fender on a toy run. wish i'd had a syn or a 50 in there at that time.

I'm curious why you would not use any of those 3 synthetic oils since they are probably some of the best. You could try Royal Purple 20w50 or Redline 20w50 which are both synthetic as well. I don't think it's wise to run a mineral based oil in an air cooled engine because of the heat related issues described by penzdude. I don't like paying $8 a quart but the difference in cost over mineral oil is $12 per change and for the protection and heat rejection qualities, you can beat it. You can get Mobil1-Vtwin or Amsoil shipped to your door as well. I'm beraking in a new TC88 in my Low Rider right now and at 100 miles I'm dumping the dino oil and going with Syn3 in the engine & primary and redline heavy shockproof in the trans. I really recommend you visit the redline oil website and see what they have to offer......very impressive. In any case, Good luck! KB

I was more curious at what other had to say, more than anything.
I run Mobil 1 in my 03 TC88B now. I ran Harley Syn3 in it prior. After using it and reading the Oil Analysis Sample, I was not impressed with it. After switching Mobil 1 it ran cooler and quieter.
Redline Heavy Shockproof is also what I run in the trans. Motorcraft 15w40 Diesel in the primary.
35 years I have been riding so I am always interested at what others have to say.

Amsoil for me all the way.. If the choices above were not availanle I think I would choose Redlines 20W50.

LC: How long did you run the Syn3 between changes? What did the sample say that you didn't like? How much difference do you notice with the redline shockproof in the trans? How did you arrive at Motorcraft 15w40 for the primary? I have been a SYn3 & HD dino oil user all along so I am really interested in what someone like you with all that expereince has to say. If you have your bike serviced at the dealer do you take in your own oil?

As for the primary you can run about anything in there. I run the Motorcraft just because it keeps things real clean. And the clutch seems to be quieter. It has a lot detergents in the oil and little if any moly.I think any diesel rated oil would serve well in the primary. They seem to hold up better over time compared to Syn3. I change it out twice a year. Probably would not have to though.
Day and Night with the Shock Proof compared to the Syn3 not a lot of difference between Shock Proof and Mobil 1 Syn Gear Oil. Shock Proof shifting felt better and a bit quieter. I change it out twice a year also.
As for the Harley Syn3 oil. I change oil every 3000 miles. I do all my own work. My sample of this oil after a 3000 mile run was: It thinned to a 30 weight yikes. Others riders seem to like the oil. Maybe I just run to darn hard.
I find if amazing that a lot of the riders I know that really ride. 20,000 to 30,000 a year. Most change oil every 3000 miles and use conventional Harley 20w50. And there are a couple bikes in the HD Museum that have over 100,000 un touched miles.
They also used conventional 20w50 Harley Oil.
A few of the young guns who Buell's I have been tuning on have been using Amsoil with very good results. So one day I may try that.
There are a lot of good oils out there. Stick with what works for you. And remember. No matter who you ask what they use is the best.
smile.gif

In my highly modified TC88b, I use Redline 20-50 in the engine, MTL in the primary and Shockproof heavy in the transmission. I change the engine oil every 1500mi and the trans. & primary at 5k. If you do a lot of summer riding in elevated temps and lots of traffic, do yourself a favor and get an oil cooler. It's the best insurance policy for keeping oil temps. under control.

What ever oil you run I would get a Oil Analysis done. We need more on this site so we can all be better informed. As Fatboymoe said if you run in hot weather or a lot of city driving get a oil cooler. Spend a couple bucks and get a oil temp dip stick also. I am ready for some spring riding!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back