Honda F4i Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I am trying to figure out which oil to use to get the best performance out of a Honda F4i wet clutch motorcycle engine. Right now the idea is just to use the oil recommended by Honda (called GN4). However, I was curious if there is another oil that I could use that would keep constant viscosity as heat is appled over time, not allow the clutch to slip due to excessive lubrication, and will maximize horsepower all while staying under $5 a quart. I know, it's quite a few requirememnts. Also, would additives like zinc be something to investigate? Any help is appreciated.

how much under $5qt do you want/need to be?

how many miles are you wanting to go on a oil change?

is $3qt for 1000 miles ok? or is $5qt for 1500 better in your eyes?

what temps do you normally ride in?

how many miles do you spend above 10k rpm?
how many above 13k?

do you let the motor fully warm before applying the right wrist?

Well, 5 dollars is the upper limit, so anywhere in there is fine. In any case, I don't have the engine in a motorcycle. This is for a competition where teams build formula style racecars, but they're not as big, hence the motorcycle engine. So I'm not exactly sure what the team plans on doing oil-changing wise, so I'll get back to you on that. But I would guess that we'd let the engine warm up before slamming on the gas, and I think that it would be good to have an oil that allows us to run high RPMs for extended periods, but not really sure. I hope that answers all your questions...

Rotella 5w/40 synthetic should be just right.
Extended oil change intervals shouldn't be considered, or normal oci, for that matter.

The secret to longevity in your performance wetclutch engine is to make frequent changes and have a robust oil, for a price that won't effect the change frequency. I think the RTSyn fits the bill. However, there are many other choices available that will perform at the level you need.

Is this a school work? I helped some guys at Purdue on one.

Yeah, this is a college program. Also, someone on another board suggested that I use valvoline 4 cycle motorcycle oil 10W40, and another said to use "15W-40 Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEOs) marketed towards diesel engines". What are your impressions on that information? Thanks

I had Valvoling 10-40 in my Vulcan. It only stayed in a few hundred miles. NOT good sounds while shifting. Put in Delo 15-40, and it is MUCH smoother shifting. That's just my bike, and what I do. I'll do frequent changes with this HDEO, and I'm sure my bike will have other things deteriorate to the point I'll sell it before the engine begins to have problems. Put 85,000+ on a Honda Shadow doing this kind of maintenance...still in the family and running great. Synthetics may be even better...just, maybe, not necessary if you do frequent oil changes. BTW, I always run synthetics in my autos: just the opposite of what many people do!

formula,
i tested Valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle and it was NOT good at all. fell out of grade pretty darn fast and the shifting was horrid!
i dropped it and put in another brand and smooth shifting was instantly back.
i would highly recommend NOT using that oil. my uoa of it is on bitog.

Chevron, Shell, Mobil all provide fine HDEO's that will do the job nicely, easy to find, and for minimal coin.

Un orthodox maybe but perfectly acceptable for your bike.

Amsoil Series 3000 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. This would fit the bill to give the best performance (most power) out of your bike. It doens't contain friction modifiers to mess with the wet clutch, and 30wt oil would give outstanding protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back