Delvac 1300 Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

I have a 2001 Honda Valkyrie, 6 cyl, I just sent off today M1 5w/40 truck and suv to Blackstone. The oil was in for 3 1/2 months, about 1300 miles. It was a good shifting oil, I hope the test produces good results. My understanding is that the Truck & SUV has been discontinued so if it tests well I will have to find the Delvac 1.

I filled it with Delvac 1300 super 15/40, the cost of the oil was $8.00 for a gallon, plus my filter of $7.50 Honda OEM, it was nice to change the oil for $16.00 --- instead of $50. I hope the results will be there. So far the shifting seems consistent with the full syn.

I am going to test the 1300 for about 1000 miles -then it will be filled with M1 10w/40 motorcycle stuff and that also will be tested. I will then have tested the following:

Amsoil, syn motorcycle 10/40
M1 syn, Truck & Suv 5/40
Delvac 1300 Super 15/40
M1 10/40 syn motorcycle

And, to the victor the spoils - which ever produced the best results gets to stay in. I will be factoring results + costs.

Hope to have results from Blackstone this week to post.

RevRider

rev,
run the delvac the same exact miles (as close as you can) as the m1 t&s and then test. that way you can directly compare milage to possible wear and viscosity.

imho, skip the m1 10w40 and instead run Shell Rotella T 15w40 (white jug) or SRT 5w40 synth (blue jug).

Sunruh, thanks for the response. I agree, good idea to keep the miles the same for test purposes.

I bought the M1 Motorcycle about 3 months ago, it's on a shelf at home, $46 for 4 qts., which includes the cost of shipping because I couldn't find it anywhere at a retail store. It's not that I can't afford the $46 for oil - but something inside grinds when I spend almost $12 per quart!!!! With that said, because I have already invested the money, I will test it, and unless it blows away the others in terms of wear, viscosity retention etc., I will not rebuy it.

At 12 dollars a quart - it should come with "cruise control" or some other goodie...

I located a Wal-Mart in Aliso Viejo, so I am going to see if they carry the Rotella syn 5/40...

Autozone had the Delvac 1300 and the Rotella 15/40 -- but didn't carry the syn versions of either one.

RevRider

it's obvious that i need to come out there and help you with an oil change. afterwards hit Salt Creek Beach for some rad waves and then a late lunch at Togo's in El Toro. um, Toto, were not in '84 anymore are we?

um, yeah. at $12qt it should do more than just lube the engine.

Yes, help the oil deficient folks...

84? That was a few years back...I remember it though...

I just priced out the Rotella Syn at Wal-Mart at $14.50 per 1 gallon - or $3.71 per quart...a sound of weeping was heard in Mission Viejo.

Gee, I haven't opened the M1 Motorcycle, I wonder if I can sell it!

RevRider

and now you know why the "motorcycle" oils are not cost effective. especially so when they don't perform any better (usually worse).

you know the big tree planters on La Paz just east of the 5? my buddy Gustavo (and brother Mario) put their 280Z into the top of one of those trees. i think good engine oil allowed him to "exceed" the speed limit by a bit and he kind of got airborn. or it was being a crazy kid. naw, couldn't have been that.
grin.gif

Rev,

Is anything being done for wear trends? Certain oils will show higher numbers at first, but can stabilize at a lower level overall.

Ethan

Ethan,

I don't established a trend pattern yet, I did my first UOA on the Valk about 4 months ago, my 2nd one is out for results --- so I don't know yet.

I am considering performance of oil, cost and ease of availability as my buying factors.

Rev

I'm all for good accurate testing, but I just can't see changing oil at any less than 3000 miles. In the case of the Valk., it oughta go 4000 with no sweat. Testing oil with 1200 or 1300 miles on it is a waste of time and money. Any automotive oil is going to pass with flying colors at that milage. Go ahead and run those oils to 4000, have them tested, and then decide if thats the oils you want to run.I think you will be surprised what a transmission will do to motor oil not designed for it. To sum it up, find a oil that will last 3000-4000 miles and use it, even if it cost a little more. No sense in wasting oil, it's got too dang expensive.
Robin

Robin, I wanted to change the Truck & Suv out because I was having a service done by the dealer, and didn't want to take the chance that they might change the oil out, which would ruin my test.

My test is back on Truck & Suv, I posted it a few days ago under Valkyrie, the wear was down, but at 1300 miles the oil had already sheared into a 30 weight...I wonder if I had left it in there for 4000 miles what would have happened??

RevRider

That WalMart in Aliso Viejo carries the M1 motorcycle oils (MX4T and VTwin). About $7 a quart FYI. They are hidden by the helmets. Actually most Wal Marts carry it, but I know that one does because I've seen it.

Huhwhye, I was in WalMart the other day in Aliso Viejo and saw it - you're right it is in the mid $7's for a quart. Thanks for the info.

RevRider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back