Just bought an w'06 KX450F dirtbike, a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put about an our on it Sunday and changed the oil today. Wow it only holds 1 quart, as well the oil looked really rough. It looked "glittery" like there was a lot of engine parts shearing down.

I also wanted to get some recommendations on oil. I have some new formula amsoil 10w-40 as well as some old red cap 15w-50. I have seen some posts here with a member who has a YZ250F and may have some good advice. I hear these motors are hard on oil and I want treat it right as I keep things a long, long time. Thanks in advance for all the help. People here are always very knowledgeable and friendly
wink.gif

ninjaracer, scroll down one thread to the "15-40's" in dirt bikes on the mc lubrication forums.sunruh, a member, can probably offer you soe good advive here. i beleieve he has gone to the trouble of oil analysis on many different lubes for us!
worshippy.gif
i think he seemed to have the most sucess with the 1540 hdeo's, and the exxon superflow 20w50. the "glittery" stuff in from normal parts "honing in" and should disipate somewhat w/ each new change. i think the general thoughts here are to use a good hdeo, and change often. these motors share the engine oil w/ the transmission, so it pulls double duty and is thrashed quite badly. even the synthetics get chewed up quickly, so, tend to be cost ineffective. good luck with your new kawasaki!

ninja,
congrats on the new scoot!
ya got a nice one that's for sure.
i would use a conventional oil (10w40 | 20w50| 15w40) for the first 2-3 oil changes. get a good 10 hours on the bike before switching to synth.
oh, and break it in hard!!!
warm bike up.
if possible, accel up a small hill to 1/2 throttle
and then let it decel on its own (ie coast back down the hill in gear). do this 10 times.
let it cool.
do the same at 3/4 throttle. let it cool.
then ride it like you stole it!
your new amsoil and old red cap are good for 3-5 hours of motor time. get a hour meter and keep track of your maintance.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Rotella T, next question would be, should I go 15-40 or 5-40. And is there a synthetic and non-synthetic Rotella T ?

Any others that I should try ? Also figured I should post a few pics.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/smithrob75/Picture.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/smithrob75/IMG_0379.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/smithrob75/IMG_0378.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/smithrob75/Picture002.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/smithrob75/9de04ec2.jpg

The 5w/40 RT is the synthetic. I think groupIII.

The metal particulate you are seeing is normal and will never go away. There will always be a little of it that is visible in the oil and filter.

Be aware that the OEM valve train of these bikes are the parts that will go first if not maintaned properly.
Keeping an eye on the vlave lash is uber important. As important as keeping the fluid changed out often.

Replacing the valves, guides, and springs with qualtiy aftermarket parts (like Kibblewhite) will give you LOTS more run time before replacement is needed. Some claim up to ten times the service compared to the OEM parts.

As JAY mentioned,check the valve clearance every 10 hrs if they start to move you want to catch it and shim them.The CRF's both 250 and 450 HAVE HAD THE VALVE PROBLEMS,along with the rmz250 and kxf's 250's. I Did not hear any valve trane problems with the KXF450.The yzf's both 250 and 450's along with the RMZ 450 Did there homework with the oem valves and springs.Ninja,drop the oil every 3-4hrs ride time or sooner and check the level in between.The filter can be dropped 2nd oil change. The manual on all models are pretty over zealous when it comes to top ends and etc.,but when it comes to oil changes and filters I think the manual let's it go too long for oil changes. My RMZ 450 MANUAl,states to change the oil every 6 hrs and filter every 12. That is too long for my riding,especially seeing the UOA.Synthetic or petroleum change the oil.

Thanks KX455 !! Nice to know there's a few guys here with the same type bike as me.

Another question about oil. Between the Rotella 15w-40 and the synthetic 5w-40, which is preffered ? Is the 5w-40 too thin ? Would is possibly be advisable to mix the 5w-40 w/ M1 EP 15w-50 ? Thanks again all.

The 5/40 is not too thin,it is just a little better at cold cranking with colder climates.
You will get different opinions on which one is preferred.I am a big fan of HDEO'S PETROLEUM,and changing out often.If I were to use a synthetic the way I change oil,it would be foolish.On the other hand you may have some other bike owners who swear by the rotella 5/40 synthetic. I love my Delo 400 15/40 and would not hesitate to use the Rotella and Mobil Delvac 15/40. I am saving big money with awesome oils,and putting my money towards tires, sprockets,chains,top ends.So I would prefer the Rotella 15/40 if I had to choice between the 2.

I actually agree with you 9c1, my brother talked me into buying a 4-stroke. I actually miss the the way a 2-stroke sounds and smells.

Actually I'm probably going to get an older 125 as a playbike, they're so much cheaper and easier to maintain.

You will see,I was diehard 2 stroke and stubborn,I also did some porting work on cylinders and worked the heads.I purchased a 05 KX250,2 Month's later a RMZ450. Sold the kx250 2 month's later.There is no mistake about the way the 4 stroke motors put the power to the ground,when you are in deep loam you feel instant momentum. Hard pack track that is torn up,with big chop the 4 stroke eats it right up, instead of getting kicked and swapping on a 2 stroke.Smooth strong tractable power,feels safer and less tiring. You ride that 450 some more and get back with us.
wink.gif

Hey KX, I'm with you on the power. This thing spits out very smooth tracable power, and I would use it for racing in a heartbeat. However, my parents have a 500 acre farm and for just playing around I miss my KX125. Only takes me 45 minutes to do a top end and to me it's just funner. No one races them anymore though.

And Warrior, those things are beasts for sure, my brother used to have a 1992 CR500, that thing would do probably over 100, although the 450 4 strokes are getting pretty close in power.

Here's a CR500. Look at the video at the top.

http://www.crusty.com/worldrecords.htm#

Oh and by the name I'm assuming you have a Yamaha Warrior. Other than the Mean Streak it's probably one of the best looking cruisers in my eyes, and it'll certainly smoke the Mean Streak. As I recall they also have some really good power up kits for those. Did you take off the single muffler ?

the only thing i don't like is that the AMA keeps letting 4 strokes get bigger and bigger discplacement while keeping the two strokes the same 250. they should either shrink the 450's back to 400's or 426's or let the 2 strokes pump up to a 265 or 310's. im sorry i just love a 2 stroke, its a pure race machine, even stock those things have sick torque on the low end. (crapped my pants!) pound for pound though, they are faster (if they had traction) my friends 250 with a millville tire on it seemed to have no traction problems, just a 3 foot trail of roost behind him the whole time
smile.gif
man i need to get me one of those. the best part is the powerband, oh man when that powervalve opens and it getis into its HP/TQ range, hold on
grin.gif
also i like how the enviro-nazi's don't like them. anyone wanna trade for my blaster?
smile.gif

-Brett-

Ninjaracer it is a Road Star Warrior, Rinehart flush exhaust, double T drag bars and high compression pistons and I agree the thing rips. I'm riding a CRF450X off road and love it, I don't think I'll ever see another two stroke, Massachusetts is trying to ban all sales of two smokes other than chain saws as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back