Oil recomendation for Yamaha V Star...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! My g/f and I just picked up a 2000 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom this past Sunday that had just 1267 miles on it. The bike looks brand new as he kept in a garage since he bought it new. He put only 900 miles on his first year of ownership and has had the bike serviced once. I assume it has Yamalube in it.

What's a good oil for this bike that I can get locally at Wal*mart?

Or should I drive it and put more miles on it before I change it?

Bike runs great and there is no smoke of any kind from the exhaust.

definately change it!!! filter too.
seeing you are in mississippi, you probably don't see much cold weather.
so....
Shell Rotella T 15w40 (white jug)
Mobil Delvac 1300 (i think this is 15w40 as well)
Chevron Delo 15w40
Exxon Superflow 20w50 (or 10w40) can also be found a Pepboys from time to time for 79 cents qt.

run it 1000 miles and do a uoa and post it.

If your engine is rated for a 20W-50, next time you're at Wal-Mart, look for Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 motorcycle oil.

Yes, it's expensive, but it will work very well, especially in an air-cooled bike. My personal favorite is Amsoil's MCF 10W-40, but I've got a water-cooled Honda ST1100.

Might also want to consider running a maintenance dose of Cycle-RX in it. Go here, read, and then click the "continued" link at the lower right:

http://www.cycle-rx.com/carlos_test_overview.html

FWIW, Amsoil recently completed a study of motorcycle oils that also bears reading. Here's the URL for the download (you'll need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader):

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

I too am using Rotella 15w40 in my V-Star 1100 and it seems to work really well. If you start digging around on the various V-Star messageboards as well as many for other motorcycles you will will find a lot of support for the Rotella and other HDEO oils. You normally will not find that support at the Yamaha dealerships but I feel that is because they want to sell you their Yamaha brand dino oil which is overpriced at nearly $4.00 per quart.

Rotella 15W40 in my 2005 V-Star 1100 as well.
Tried Castrol 15W40 MC oil once for about 2000mi and it was ok.

Diggin' this one outta grave but I just bought a used 2001 Vstar-650 and I'm currently researching oil/final gear fluids. Regarding Shell Rotella T, since this bike has a wet clutch, shouldn't I be looking for an oil that meets JASO MA specification? Shell website does not seem to have this info available.

Off topic, but...

Your tires are 7 years old. Check them very thoroughly and replace them as soon as you realize that they are literally, figuratively & actually in all reality ALL THAT STANDS BETWEEN YOU AND THE ROAD (except the kick stand when the bike is parked and that's not dangerous)!

Cheers! & enjoy your ride!

Quote:

Diggin' this one outta grave but I just bought a used 2001 Vstar-650 and I'm currently researching oil/final gear fluids. Regarding Shell Rotella T, since this bike has a wet clutch, shouldn't I be looking for an oil that meets JASO MA specification? Shell website does not seem to have this info available.

If you will look I think the Rotella 15w40 is wet clutch rated so everything should be fine even though it does not carry the JASO spec. I was using it in my V-Star 1100 without issues.

I hear you... Tires look amazingly in great shape. I guess it helped that the original owner only put 4200 miles on them and he used to jack up the bike for winter storage. I will follow your advice anyways and ask the dealership to check 'em during the next safety inspection.

Mobil 1 V-Twin. The add pack is designed for motorcycles (really high phos & zinc levels). Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO) like Rotella have good add packs too but I can not find one in 20W-50. My bike is air cooled, specifies a 20W-50, and I live in Phoenix where it is mega hot (up to 120F). I am not comfortable with the lower viscosity for my application but the HDEOs like Rotella may be fine for you. Delo is a great HDEO too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back