10w-40 RedLine wetclutch friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this oil is very highly regarded for motorcycle use, and doesn't shear much at all.

I have used Havoline 10w-40 in my Honda 4Trax 300 4x4 in the past and it has caused slippage problems that quickly went away when I went back to Rotella.

It is winter and cold now so I need something that won't shear, and will last a good long time without interfering with the wet clutch. It gets used every single day, but generally isn't revved highly for long periods or anything.
Rotella 5w-40 is an option too but seems to shear worse.
Thanks!

I don't know about the oil you mentioned but I myself just received a case of Amsoil 0w-40 to put in my 05 Rancher. It's JASO-MA rated so it will work fine in my machine.

I would think the Rotella would be fine too....being it's designed for diesel applications which put high stress on the oil.
I run the regular 15w-40 in my son's 06 TRX90.

if 10w40 havoline slips in your ride, i wouldn't run the redline.

I've been running the redline for about 4,000 mile, and on the 2nd oil change 40,000 mile on the clutch , I am detecting some minimal slippage feel under certain heavy load. it's very faint occasionally but enough to make me go back to a non molly oil to see if it dissapears.

Cool I will look into it. Havoline made it slip bad enough to where it would barely even move. It is too cold in NE IL for 15w-40 right now, I will run Rotella in summertime.

http://www.maximausa.com/

I have run Maxima synthetics in 15 or so quads and bikes over the years. Extra if you are a recreational rider, and Ultra if you are a racer looking for a very slick oil that will milk every bit of horsepower out of your engine.

Ultra comes in some rather unconventional weights, and they do make an 0W30, which should be good for cold weather. It by the way just makes 30 weight, and is actually borderline 20 weight, so make sure that is ok for your engine. It is however not listed as JASO MA, so I would e-mail them and ask about that, before running it in a bike with a wet clutch.......

I run Redline in my truck, and would certainly run it in the engine side of my 450R. But, for something with integrated engine and transmission oil, I always prefer to go with an oil that is JASO MA.

My personal preference is Maxima Extra, which is an ester synthetic (like Redline), but beefed up with extreme pressure additives for use in a transmission.

Amsoil 10w40 is JASO MA and to my knowledge is the most shear stable MC oil out there. I run the 10w40 in my dirt bike and the 20w50 in my HD. No clutch problems at all.

I have done two track session on my Kawasaki ZXR400 with 10W40 Redline.

I reckon as long as the oil viscous stay above 30W you should be quite safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back