Sport Rider test motorcycle oils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were losing me when they stated that the most recent oil label was SL...until I read at the bottom that the first part was written in 2003. This is good information...and backs up my plan to use Delo 15-40 with normal to a little more often than normal change intervals. It also answers the molybdenum question...not a problem with wet clutches. Thanks for the link!

Gentlemen

I invite you to read A Study of Motorcyle Oils it's easy to read.
smile.gif

Thanks, Gary. Some good information in there. What I'd like to see is some Rotella 5-40 and Delo 15-40 compared to the motorcycle oils.

Well considering both are for Automotive Application I don't see that happening.

Chevron WebSite
quote:

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic Engine Oil
Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oil is recommended for use in turbocharged diesel and four-cycle gasoline engines, torque converters, gear cases and hydraulic systems operating in arctic-type climates and high temperature conditions. Using the latest synthetic oil technology, Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic provides excellent performance with either high- or low-sulfur diesel fuels and in extended service applications.

Features
• Easier cold-weather starting due to excellent low temperature pumping capability

• Excellent shear stability and are designed to not shear down to a lower viscosity grade in most applications

• Lower oil cost results from excellent deposit control that reduces oil consumption, and oxidation is minimized to help extend oil service life

• Reduced inventory costs are achieved because the wide operating temperature range allows Delo 400 Synthetic to be used in all seasons

• Longer engine life results from excellent soot dispersing and low temperature pumping, which reduces startup wear
• Available in SAE 0W-30 and 5W-40 grades

Applications
• Turbocharged diesel and four-stroke gasoline engines

• Torque converters, gear cases, hydraulic systems

Select Performance Specifications
• API CG-4, CF, CD (obsolete specification), SH, SJ

• Cummins CES 20076, 20071 (SAE 5W-40)

• Mack® EO-M Plus, EO-M (SAE 5W-40)

• General Motors GM 6094-M

Shell WebSite / Technical Specifications Pdf Doc
quote:

Applications
• Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets
• Meets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4 PLUS, Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others; For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.

Features/Benefits
• Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needs
• Outstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine life
• Helps speed cold starts even with low winter temperatures
• Enhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service life
• Improved fuel economy – when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils
• Product is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer’s engine oil warranty requirements.

Approvals and Recommendations
• API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
• API SL, SJ, SH
• Cummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071
• Detroit Diesel 7SE 270
• Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03, EO-N, EO-M Plus
• Volvo VDS 2

Gary

In the article they ran car oil on the dyno test. That's interesting

[ December 04, 2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Huhwhye ]

Yes it is VERY interesting isn't it. Running a Car or Diesel oil in your BMW or GSXR doesn't sound like such a good Idea now does it.

Sounds just GREAT to me. And I will continue running Delvac 1. Just bought two more four-litre jugs (for $15.00 per) at the local Wally World...

John.

Well Gary, the test isn't exactly representative of all car oils. 1 oil, 2 similar bikes shared sump sport bikes etc.

And I doubt that test will change any minds around here.

Can't really draw any conclusions just from a test that used 1 car oil. I just that it interesting they used a car oil in the test. But their choice wasn't exactly the best nor comprehensive.

Huhwhye

I agree it will more then likely not change peoples minds. I have found that to getting people to change they're minds when it comes to oil is darn near impossible. (change your mind not your oil) But it does show that using "Car Oil" it not such a great idea. Running "Car Oil" in a bike, to me just seems a very bad idea. In over 20 years I have NEVER run car oil in any bike I have owned. I have owned 2 yamaha's a Maxium 400, FZ 600 and now a Harley FXR.

What is the significance of the car oil on the dyno thing? Proving what?

confused.gif

There are at least three other such studies I've looked at which inidcate no real world difference in motorcycle specific oils and many car oils. Sure, the zinc and phos numbers are higher, and moly tends to be lower... but that's true of HDEO's as well.

It is extremely doubtful that any motorcycle specific dino oil in the 40 weight class could outperform Shell's Rotella 15W40 in real world applications.

Dan

Doesn't prove anything, just curious that a bike rag would do it. That's why I said it wasn't a representative test. I just figured bike magazines would stick to the M/C oil only philosophy. But I wouldn't know because I don't read magazines.

For once I think I agree with Fuel Tanker Man.

Gary, since you posted a link to an Amsoil report.

Amsoil makes very good oils, but remember they sold "car oil" relabeled as "motorcycle oil". Nothing wrong with that at all, just marketing. But that shows you there is more to an oil than what's on the label.

VOA's and UOA's on this site have shown many M/C specific oils to be no better than there car counterparts, just more expensive.

Amsoil's new MCF and MCV bike oils are completely different from their older AMF and AMV oils. Those oils were simply re-labeled from cage duty under their AMO and ARO products, yes, but in their day were still considered excellent -- especially the 20W-50.

I would have liked to have seen the Rotella oils in the Amsoil study as well.

I know the new stuff is different, but they stiil sell the older stuff. I was trying to make a point that there's more to an oil than a label and just because it says "motorcycle" on the bottle that doesn't mean anything. Never said the oils were bad, just pointing out a fact.

What does that matter?
If I told you 10 you would want to know the results.
If I told you none then you would then you would ask how I know my oil is performing the way it should. An you would also think I was a idiot.

Oh and by the way interesting Occupation: Oil Test Addict

The only difference I have ever noticed in any oil I have poured in any bikes I have had is the way the bike shifts and how long the oil will last before the shifting gets clunky. The rest of it is just "motor internal combustion" just like everything else on the road.

Some brands last a little better than others and some bike seem to like different brands that might work well in a bike sitting right next to it.

Oils that worked for me over the years:
Rotella T 5 and 15W40
Castrol GTX 20W50
Kendell 10W40
Torco 10W40
Amsoil 10W40 (currently in VFR)
Mobil 1 15W50
Mobil 1 10W30 (drag bike)

I'm sure that there are many other brands and weights that work well, but these are the ones I have tried and work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back