Amsoil Dominator rust protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2006 KTM 300xc-w dirt bike (2-stroke). I have about 20 hours on it now running Amsoil dominator at 40:1 (ran about 25:1 for the first tank of gas). I think i will stick with the Dominator as i know it protects well and keeps things fairly clean and the price ain't too bad. My only question is how well does it protect against rust on the crank/ bearings etc.. I have heard that some full synthetic 2t oils aren't very good at corrosion prevention, which is one reason why some run a syntetic blend such as Maxima Super M or Yamlube 2R. I sometimes go 3-4 weeks between rides and i need the little bit of oil that stays on the crank, bearings, and cylinder wall to protect them from corrosion in this humid climate. I fog the motor with Wynns fogging oil for winter storage BTW. Anyways, what are your thoughts? Also what about Maxima Formula K2 for rust prevention? Thanks.

steve,
i once saw a chart that showed how long 2smoke oil stays in the crankcase of a bike depending on the ratio it was mixed at.
the difference between 50:1, 40:1, 32:1 and 24:1 was staggering!
it was something along the lines of 3 seconds, 8 seconds, 24 seconds and 1 minute 14 seconds. these are not the actual numbers, but pretty close if memory serves.
i've never seen rust form on a crank due to storage, but then i've probably never seen one in storage for as long as yours is either. how many weeks for winter will yours be down?
pick any good oil (i like yamahalube 2R) and mix it strong and if possible, restart it in 2 months.
just make sure you drain the carb.

p.s nice bike. i got to ride an 06 200xc-w and was FINALLY impressed with a 200.

Steveo...
I just wanted to mention that when you ran your bike at 25:1 for the intitial breakin period, that unless you rejetted the bike to run at optimum at the 25:1 ratio, that you were actually introducing LESS oil than you would have been with the 40:1 ratio.

I know this sounds backwards, but increasing the oil in the ratio, without jetting changes at all circuits to accomodate the high oil ratio, will provide a very lean burn condition, which could also mean less oil falling out of suspension and condensating on your internal metal parts.

Actually, if it were me, I would run the ratio at 25:1 all the time and jet up proper for it. THAT is how you provide more protection for the motor, AND provide more HP than you can ever achieve running the 40:1 ratio.

I know one yamaha shop heavily into race support running amsoil at 100 to 1 for many years with good results.

Personally,I had no interest in that attempt, I just ran Yamalube r at 32:1 and never had any issues. A garaged bike on a couple of weeks of off time shouldnt be an issue.

If you have to fog cylinders as a routine for just a few weeks I'd look for altermative method or oil, too much maintenance for me.

quote:

I just wanted to mention that when you ran your bike at 25:1 for the intitial breakin period, that unless you rejetted the bike to run at optimum at the 25:1 ratio, that you were actually introducing LESS oil than you would have been with the 40:1 ratio.

I know this sounds backwards, but increasing the oil in the ratio, without jetting changes at all circuits to accomodate the high oil ratio, will provide a very lean burn condition,

I was not aware of this (and am still trying to get my head around it) but the bike was jetted quite rich initially. I have since gotten it much closer to optimum. Also, i am thinking of going to 32:1 instead of 40:1. 25:1 seems like a bit much though. I know they have proven that you get the best power at 16:1 or 18:1 but i don't think i would like the smoke or the spooge or all the oil i would have to buy to run that oil-rich.

quote:

If you have to fog cylinders as a routine for just a few weeks I'd look for altermative method or oil, too much maintenance for me.

I don't fog the motor for a few weeks. I only fog when it will be stored over winter (3 months or so). That is why i need to know if the Dominator will protct my motor over a time period of 2-4 weeks between rides during the summer. If not i WILL look for an alternative oil.

IMHO Amsoil has been pretty good in the rust prevention dept. with 2-stroke oils over the years. I certainly have heard of no problems with Dominator. I would say at 40:1 you will be fine - even over the winter, so 2-4 weeks should be no issue.

Steve,
It would be a good idea for you to plan on taking the carb and reed block off the bike and take a good look at the crank after it's next sit. That should show you if your oil is doing what you want.
If the oil is not protecting, you will see the corrosion immediately on the crank halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back