castrol tection 15w40 diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using this oil in a 4 stroke? It would be used in a high rpm(13,500), 4 stroke, off road, in a motor that shares oil with the trans. 2002 YZ250F.
Figured if Rotella T can be used, why not this, right? NIce sale at advance auto......
Thanks.

You would think so. My impression is that you application might just be the toughest that there is for four stroke motor oil. I probably don't have to tell you to change it frequently...

John.

Thanks for the replies. I grabbed "some" of the castrol at advance auto which was 3 gallons for 15.00. I purchased enough for all of next season, which is about 10 months long, and a little for the season afer that. Im done paying 13.00-17.00/gallon for moto dino lube.
Total amount of oil I purchased was 21 gallons. Price was just over 111 dollars. Great deal for me as 111.00 dollars would have gotten me 8 gallons of yamalube at 13.00 per gallon. I'll take 21 vs 8 for my money.
I change the oil after every race(2 hour harescramble) or recreational ride which could be from 2-8 hours. This was very expensive every year, but not so bad now that Im making the switch to diesel. Bike takes 1.7 quarts of oil, and I ride or race at least once a week. Thats about 17 gallons of oil a year.
Previous money on oil per year, using an average cost of 15.00/gallon x 17=255
Now, 5/gallon x 17=85
Quite a savings if the oil holds up and I dont blow my newly rebuilt and overbored 250F. Its fully broken in with about 3 hours on the rebuild using Yamalube. I just dumped out the Yamalube and filled with Tection. Hope it works..........

i noticed that oil, but was only mildly curious about it. i hope it works for you considering how much you bought. a safer bet would have been to have bought exxon superflow at pepboys on their sale and only have bought 3gal or so to make it to the next sale.

run this castrol tection in a hare scramble and then send it in to blackstone for a test. it would be interesting to see what it does. i'll bet it is extremely close to SRT in the results. also then the universal averages on my sheets would no longer be just me!
wink.gif

We'll see how it does come this sunday. Hope to give it a 4-5 hour test. As for sending it out for anyalysis, I dont have a reading from a "mototcycle" oil to compare against. I dont know if it would be worth it. I'm going to go by clutch feel, shifting, how it runs, etc.
I was thinking of buying some Rottella T and alternating between the tection and T. This way it doesnt see a constant dose of the tection, incase it isnt the greatest.
Maybe I'll trade the tection for rotella t, we'll see.
thanks

Great. Since you proclaimed yourself as the universal average, how about running some tection and posting the results........
Thanks.

yes I would also like to know I currently use rotella T 15w40 in a yam vstar 1100, but at $5.00 a gallon I would like to try the castrol tection.

I sure hope you took advantage of the $6 rebate per 3 gallons of tection (limit of 2 per household) on the Castrol website!!!!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back