White paper on Motorcycle oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very interesting reading there Don. I like the affidavit paper at the end, but in the end, Amsoil still looks like the best "on paper" as well as "in the tests".

Nice to know as a side note that my new "pet" oil Maxima faired pretty decent. They certainly take the cake in the ZDDP department, but I knew that already from talking with them. It goe to show that if there medium product can give a showing like this, just imagine the top end product (Ultra line that I use) could be capable of.

No, I am not saying that it justifies the $11 per liter cost of mine, but does show that it is quite a product, though.

Been testing out the Maxima range too. Their synthetic 40 grades are just too thin for my climate, formulated borderline 30 SAE. Being the tropics over where I am, they thin out to a worrying level in heavy traffic conditions.

Their 50 grades, however, have been great so far. The Ultra is pretty amazing. Couple of friends and I have been whipping the 5W50 Ultra oils on 600cc inline4 sportbikes. My R6 in particular is a small sump (2.5L) 15,500rpm oil shearer, with mixed track and aggressive street usage, lots of high rpm high output riding. The 5W50 Ultra has demonstrated surprising resistance to viscosity shear down and is performing smooth and slick late into the OCI. Another 1300km to go and I'll send a sample in for analysis.

Hey thwwx, I was wondering how much longer, if you have been able to, have you been extending your OCI's, or what OCI do you use?

Gee.......I need to check these pages out a little more before i post.
Didn't see the other one on here showing the same paper
frown.gif

Dad2leia, I used to practise 5000km (3100miles)OCI when the bike is ridden more mildly (commuting), but I have since reduced it to ~4000km as most oils I have used show significant loss of slickness and viscosity by then. I'm 3700km into the Ultra and it still feels great.

A couple of riding buddies on Suzuki GSXR600 have reported great performance past 5000km. Some of these guys are very aggressive street/track mix usage riders, usually they will 'feel the need' to change out their previous favourite oil (Silkolene Pro4 15W50) by 5k. My buddy is still happily whipping his bike with the Ultra at 5600km.

The Ultra is one interesting oil, it seems that the more you whip the bike, the smoother it gets instead of getting chewed up faster. He is using a blended Ultra (5W50/5W40 in a 2:1 ratio) to achieve approximately 15cst @100degC currently. Previously, he did not have the confidence in 40 grade oils as it simply thin down too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back