ATF in a 2 stroke transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used ATF as a breakin oil, but having run atf on rocky terrain, gear box noise is way too high for me to ever consider running it as a normal gear oil.

IN point, atf does not have the strength or film cushion of a 40 weight oil . There are those who run it, but as an oil analyser once asked me, have you ever seen how much metal contaminant is generated running atf in 2 stroke gear box? his answer was susbstancially high

Type F atf has been used for many years in 2-stroke transmissions with fantastic success.

It provides a very positive shift, which is required for both racers, and rough terrain riders.

It is very stable, compared to other fluids, in high heat applications such as two stroke racing can create. I think most Type F's have a flash point ~570F.

Another definate plus for Type F is the performance in cold weather. Using just about any OEM recommended oil, you will find that when the weather is cold, the bike wants to lurch forward, even with the clutch held in. This situation does not exist when using Type F.
Off road riders often times will just start riding lots,when the road guys are mothballing their ride for the winter.

I realize that there is lots of contaminants that show on a two-stroke gearbox analysis..no matter what fluid you use. My first question to the analysis man would be..how long was the oil used?
Oil change frequency with motorcycles is far more than that of an automobile, and even more frequent for a 2-stroke application.

I have never experienced any abnormal gearbox noise using Type F, and I have used several different Type F's over the years, including Valvoline Type FA.

At ~.79 qt. it is very hard to beat this product for the hydrostatic transission of a two-stroke motorcycle.
It is LOADED with barrier add.

Never use highly friction modified Dexron or Mercon type fluids in the 2-stroke...
Type F has a dynamic coefficient of friction that is reduced when the revs are high, which is exactly opposite of how Dexron/Mercon type fluids work.

I suppose some analysis is in order for some comparative data.

(as an afterthought...) Those who have experimented with Dexron or Mercon type fluids in the 2-stroke gearbox, and switch over to type F after recommendations, will probably find no differnce at all. Quite possibly your plates are already glazed from the modified fluids.

i ran penzoil atf type f in my 98yz250 transmission for 2 years and 30 races. clutch plates were still in "new" spec when i sold it in december of '00.

I've run ATF in all sorts of 2 strokes for years,never a problem,good for clutches and mafes good shifts.

"ATF is designed for wet clutches and for meshing gears. in a 2 stroke it doesn't have to lube the engine. Why isn't it used in them?"

I started using ATF Type F in the early 80s in 2 stroke offroad bikes gear boxs. Back in the mid 80s got a new KTM off road bike, in the owners manual KTM reccomend Dextron ATF.

Sorry about the bad post above. Time expired before I realized about the bad post.

..."ATF is designed for wet clutches and for meshing gears. in a 2 stroke it doesn't have to lube the engine. Why isn't it used in them?"

I started using ATF Type F in the early 80s in 2 stroke offroad bikes gear boxs. Back in the mid 80s got a new KTM off road bike, in the owners manual KTM recommend Dexron ATF for the gear box. So I went with that. I do change ATF out after every 2 rides mostly just to get rid of tranny debris. Thats the beauty of ATF it is cheap compared to real MC tranny oils.

In my current main bike is a KTM 380. I use ATF Dexron in it also. Even though KTM now only recommends only 80w gear oil. For me why fix what is not broke so ATF gets nod in the 380. I've tried ATF Type F in almost every bike I've owned since the early 80s. For me Dexron always shifted much smoother than Type F.

By the way the KTM 38O, bought it new 5 years ago the tranny still has not turned to Jello using ATF. In spite of what some anti ATF keyboards commandos have stated.

great info guys! it was something I have been curious about for years but never got a decent answer and never knew anyone who ran ATF.
I don't even own a 2 stroke anymore. it's oil destroying thumpers only for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back