Good 2 stroke oil for dirtbike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

The reason I say not to use oxygenated fuel is a couple years ago many people were blowing their bikes up from the gas causing a lean condition. I haven't heard anything lately so just a heads up.

Oxygenated gas doesn't blow up engines....people do.
Folks are more likely to melt a piston by changing their fuel/oil ratio without the appropriate jetting changes.
Oxygenated fuel is a great tool for the performance engine tuner, and should be used as such.
A person that thinks they can simply dump oxy fuel into their bike and gain HP is simply mistaken.
But very doubtful he will blow up his engine unless he was on the jagged edge of lean to begin with, which is very unlikely.

You can burn up an engine much faster using 87 octane pump swill than you could with a quality oxygenated fuel, without appropriate adjustment of the carburation circuits.

No matter what changes you make to a two stroke bike as far as fuel/oil ratio or the type of fuel to use, you must make the appropriate jetting changes for the bike to realize any performance gains, or for the bike to even run right for that matter.

Bikes are jetted in the factory in a catch-all manner. There is no way for the mfg to know what conditions your bike will be run in, so they tend to jet the carb circuits very rich if you use their recommended ratio.
And their recommendation is just a guide. You must be somewhat knowledgable on the proper jetting of the carb circuits for the bike to perform at your temperature, elevation, and riding conditions.

I tend to run 125cc bikes with a high oil ratio, as the high rpm of the small bore requires lots of protection, and more HP can be realized with more oil content. 18:1 - 32:1

A bigger bore bike, like the CR500, makes less revs, and draws in more air and fuel/oil with each stroke than a smaller cc bike, but the case is virtually the same size, so you can be comfortable with a higher fuel to oil ratio like 40-50:1

[ November 14, 2005, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Jaybird ]

Isn't oxy fuels more for cleaner emissions rather than performance?(winter fuel blend) The people that have blown their bikes are caused from lean conditions from this fuel. Most have their jetting set at near lean conditions and these fuels can push it too lean. I doubt if the normal "weekend warrior" will ever have problems with this. Most performance engine tuners (and most racers that I know ) use race gas. I don't believe that it is oxygenated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back