Good 2 stroke oil for dirtbike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a used 2 stroke dirt bike this week, a CR500. My first 2 stroke bike in 7 years. So what's the latest and greatest 2 stroke oil for dirtbikes? 7 years ago I used whatever the stores sold. Now that I'm an amateur BITOGer "whatever" won't cut it anymore. I tried searching around and found many topics relating to saws and outboards so I was hoping for something specific to a water cooled dirtbike.

Thanks in advance.

I think Mobil 1 Racing 2T is the best especially for the price.

I've used Klotz R50 also, but its expensive.

Back before I used Maxima Super M, but the ATV shop didn't recomend it, when they rebuilt my engine.

i have used a lot of Yamalube 2R with great results. i think Torco makes/made it at the time. i have never seen a bad motor from Mobil 1 MX2T as well.

04SpecV, I am curious as to why your ATV shop didn't recommend the Maxima product. My local bike shop says that it is one of the best, along with Bel-Ray lubricants. They also carry Klotz products, but I didn't inquire about them.

They also however, do not recommend Silkolene products as they stated they have had more problems with running that lubricant than its worth. I personally use the Maxima line, and the only drawback that I've encountered so far is the high price of admission, but my engines are worth it.
grin.gif

Sounds like the Mobil 1 product is it.

I found the description for Silkolene Pro 2 SX at CycleGear.com to be strange.

. Utilizes aerospace technology to give the ultimate in lubrication and engine protection and maintain film strength at high temperatures and stresses during off-road motorcycle racing.
. Combats throttle slide sticking in wet conditions.
*Not designed for premix use.

see it here http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=52&L2=188&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_43-0221_G

Not for premix then what good is it for a dirtbike? And it says off road on the bottle and has an image of an MX bike.

I run Yamalube R in everything whether kaw honda yamaha, the price is pretty reasonable. And the oil has been noted since magazine test back in the 70's as a top grade protective oil that burns very clean.

Mack, there were no clean buring 2-stroke oils in the 70's. LOL...

Mobil1 MX2T is a fantastic, full synthetic that protects from wear as well as anything. It also will burn very, very clean compared to many conventional 2cycle oils. The power valves are cleaner at rebuild than any fluid I have ever used.

Mobil was providing the fluid with no dye at all, so it was hard to tell when you had mixed a batch...but they have since added a red dye and went to qt instead of pt containers.
At about half the price of comparable oils.
Stock item at AutoZone.

Huhwhye I'm impressed. Finally, some one willing to pay more than $5 per quart of engine's lifeblood. Maybe my insanity is finally starting to rub off...
smile.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Being that MX2T was priced at $3.75 when it was in the pint sized bottles, $7 is a great price.

Pablo, The CR500 is one of those engines that will need lesser service intervals than say a CR250 or 125...however, it is a high performance, high revving performance engine.

I would never recommend anyone use an injector oil, such as the Interceptor stuff(~$7.50qt.), for such an animal.
A better choice from Amsoil would be the Dominator line. (~$8.75qt.)

If comparing between MX2T and an Amsoil product, it has to be the Dominator.

On comparison, Maxima Racing 2 stroke oil is ~$16.00qt.

One thing to consider...many of the popular brands of 2 cycle oils, and some not so popular, are built using Mobil basestock and esters.

Silkolene do a premix and injector oil,oil viscosity is more important with the injector oil.My DT230 runs a pump and I use Yamalube or Silkolene Pro 2.

Check here for the complete range.
Silkolene

[ November 10, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Silk ]

Some food for thought....
An oil injection pump can be very inconsistant.
Even a slight change in temp can cause a change in volume of oil injected. Hence the importance of viscocity.

Many will disconnect the pump and opt to premix their fuel and oil together, ranther than trust the inconsistency of the pump.

Few oil related failures when fuel is mixed by hand. Many failures when trusting the pump.

I have raced for 14 years (local pro), mostly on 2 smokes. I have found that maxima oils have been quite good. I have never had an oil failure because of it. I have no idea why your dealer (04specV) wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps it was the Maxima 927 castor oil that will seperate at lower temperatures. I used the FormulaK2. I recommend using only oil specifically formulated for bikes and not marine also. Go to bike shops where they will have all brands. I doubt that you will have any failures due to oils with any. You can mix between 40:1 or 50:1 for a 500, and try to stay away from oxygenated fuels.

Silkolene is good, also add Motul Synth, Castrol JetX, BelRay to your list, M-I 2T Synth is great too.

I know that the Maxima Formula2K is a great oil, but at ~$17.00 a qt. I can't see any justification to use it over the MX2T at $7.00

Most of us are going on what we see at teardown on recommendations. We also tend to recommend what we use and are told to use, and for no other reason.

The only way to see the total benifits of a 2cycle oil are to do measuring comparisons using controls.

Why do you not like oxy fuels, p-chem?

Jaybird - Interceptor is not purely an injector oil. Sure the Dominator will work great as well but is not required. BTW Dominator can be used in injectors as well.

My CR500 Specs 36:1 Ratio for mixture and i have never had to do a tear down. (Its a 94 with alot of hours on it with darn near stock compression) (Motul synthetic 2 stroke oil)

I only pay $11 1L of FormulaK2. Like I said, almost any premix oil for motorcycles will work. I actually haven't seen any diference in wear from using honda HP2 to MC-1. (This is on a 125cc). My first CR125 recommended 20:1 (now most recommend 32:1), but I've always ran 32:1 to 40:1. The reason I say not to use oxygenated fuel is a couple years ago many people were blowing their bikes up from the gas causing a lean condition. I haven't heard anything lately so just a heads up.

Pre mix is usualy used on dedicated off road bikes,having a pump on a street bike makes it a lot easier at the pumps,alhough I used to mix at the pumps on my BSA Bantam.I always made my dirt bikes pre mix,but not the old Suzuki's,they had an oil feed to the left main and a slinger to the big end,I've seen them with destroyed bigends with pre mix.My current bike is a DT230,I ride it on and off road,get 4 tanks of gas to a fill of oil,and no way would I take off the pump,just got to keep an eye on the cable....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back