XD 3 / 0 w 40 for my new ATV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suzuki recommend SF SG 10 w 40 or 5 w 30. I would like to use the same oil all year long. Im leaving where it can be really cold .

XD3 oil are readily available at the wal-mart near by my place and at a very good price.

It is acceptable for my application ?

Its a SJ and doesn't seems to be carrying the Jaso MA rating.

What type of atv. I would use a 0W40 like Amsoil year round. I have good luck with it.

Do a search here on the 0-40 xd3. I read one post where the oil sheared down quite a bit. Esso xd3 oils do not seem to be of very good quality from what I've seen in the specs.

LIke tmorris said, the Amsoil would be a far better choice.

You could also look at the Rotella SB 0-40 and 5-40. Petro-can 5-40.

Rotella SB 0w-40 (Canadian Product) has caused problems with wet-clutch slippage according to Shell's own Rotella website. Do not use it.

John.

I am waiting for Esso to reply to an email sent a few days ago regarding their XD3.

If they are recommending the xd3 0w40 thats what I will use. Not that I don't consider your opinion but , only because 4 litres of Amsoil cost 40.00 CA and 4 litres of XD3 22.00 !!!

However thanks for your suggestion ;-)

By the way, an Esso bulk dealer will beat that price if amounts around twelve litres are purchased. At least that is so in my personal experience. Check around. Also, I have an offer from a local heavy-duty diesel shop to sell me a twenty-litre pail of whatever weight of XD-3 that I want at wholsesale. I am good for oil for a while given my current supply but I will remember that offer for the future. This oil is about as good as it gets really. And the cost point is unreal for the quality.

John.

Canadians have the good luck of having Petrocan Duron oils to use. These oils are semi synthetic and extremely robust.

The Duron XL 10/40 specs out very close to Amsoil's 10/40 motorcycle oil.

I buy Duron from PC's bulk plants for $3.79 a litre.

Petro can 10/40 Duron semi synthetic

FP --- 448
VI --- 156
ht/hs --- 4.3
PP --- -54
ash --- 1.37
TBN --- 10.3

Amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil synthetic

FP --- 450
VI --- 173
ht/hs --- 4.20
PP --- -54
ash --- 1.0
TBN --- 12.0

I'm not advertising for or affiliated with Petrocan by the way.

Esso replied and they are recommending the XD3 0 w 40 for my ATV.2 hrs later the oil change was completed !! this is going to be my all season engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back