What oil for my new bike (s) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my girlfriend and I just bought our new bikes after owning a Ninja 250r (her bike) and a Ninja 500r (my bike)

My new bike is a 05' Buell XB12R FireBolt and her new bike is a 05' Honda CBR600 F4i.

What oil should we be considering for our first oil changes? My Buell calls for either a 10w40 or 20w-50...and the Honda calls for a 10w40.

The people at Harley Davidson seemed super intent on sending me home with a case of their own HD oil but I went home without it. I called Castrol, Pennzoil and Mobil and they all recommend I use their motorcycle oils rather then their regular oils (due to moly).

Are their alternatives to motorcycle oils? I've heard of people using HDEO's will this affect my wet clutch?

Recommendations please?

Give some thought to what AMSOIL has to offer.
10W40
 -

20W50
 -

Read more about the products here.

http://www.soslube.com

A lot of people say that you won't have clutch slipping issues if you stay away from oils with "energy conserving" on the API label. Generally this means 30wt and under. I've personally never had a clutch issue running 10W40 automotive oils or HDEO, and I know I'm not the only one. So far as HDEO you can find Shell Rotella T easily, it's 15W40 (I think they all are) and maybe $7/gallon. The Rotella syn 5W40 is available at Walmart for less than $15/gallon if you want. If you want a "true" synthetic I believe a lot of people recommend M1 Truck&SUV, also available at Walmart.

daemonite,
check out the motorcycle UOA's.

exxon superflow 10w40 or 20w50 will handle your needs for a price that NOBODY can match when purchased with coupon and rebate at pepboys (79cents per qt). next in line for price would be texaco havoline and then shell rotella t 15w40.

well they are totally different types of bikes...

i got my buell instead of your average japanese bike because i like that it's a cafe racer inspired bike, handles like it's on rails, has TORQUE! and with a twist of the throttle it'll put the front wheel up in the air with ease.

i've driven the japanese bikes, great for freeways and track but in traffic or the city, i prefer my v-twin buell's torque, small size and handling.

i guess i like being different, and yes the xb12r is just as fast as 90% of the stock 600cc japanese bikes...

quote:

A lot of people say that you won't have clutch slipping issues if you stay away from oils with "energy conserving" on the API label.

Its not just that but the owners manual also say to not use them. So for those that are concerned about warranty issues etc, they should not use the "energy conserving" oils.

It may not be apparent but could be something that affects the longevity of the components in the clutch or affect its performance.

I can't see why the ATV/MC mfg's etc would recommend not using the "energy conserving" oils if they were not found to cause concerns?

it's the moly in the oil that they dont recommend for use in wet clutches.

thats what harley davidson told me...

Most oils vary between zero and 200-300 levels of moly.

Redline and Motul have levels of near 600 in their oils, yet perform well in wet clutches.

There's more to this moly story I'm sure, but we are talkin double normal moly count, same type of moly is the unknown.

I'm using redline 75-90 in the trans and 20-50 in the engine
the trans seems to like the 75-90 better than the 20-50 amsoil I had in there before. it would be hard to shift when hot with the amsoil. I ran SYN3 from 1000 miles to 5,000 dident have any problems with that ether
its safer to use harleys oil for warranty though dealer will not have anything to blame

i guess i like being different, and yes the xb12r is just as fast as 90% of the stock 600cc japanese bikes

I'd hope that 1200cc's could keep up with 600...Wow!

yeah well the sportster engine can be traced back way into the 1950's, cant really ask for it to compete with modern 4 cylinders.

but put a v-rod into a buell xb12r frame
my ***...it'll be a monster

and theres nothing wrong with wanting torque and handling over high horsepower and break neck speeds.

yeah the zx-10r will beat down my bike, as with the r1, gsxr 1000, etc.

but ehhh, i love my bike and thats all that matters

my buell has 102hp (XB12R without race kit)

With the race kit that i have on order, it should boost it by 10% to about ~110+

anyway buells arent made to compete with 600's, they are hooligan/cafe racer styled bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back