Oil for Brit twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off Hi to everyone
cheers.gif

My first post and after searching first to make sure I'm not going over something that's going to bore everyone I found just one post that would be of any help.

I've read elsewhere of one fella that swears by Mobil 1, royal purple and amsoil synthetics in old Brit twins, he reckons he's getting around 80,000 miles between rebores and oil changes around 6-8,000 miles. reading between the lines he seems to get more leaks than those on mineral oils.
since then i've read of 2 people that have had disasterous results, whether or not it's down to the oil no one sems to be certain. maybe it is coincidence but one had been running on Duckhams Q20/50 for a few years and had around 15,000 miles on the clock. he changed to Mobil one and 100 miles (one hundred) later his engine blew the big ends (shells) and wrecked the bores.
second fella had just rebuilt his bike and did a trip of 1500 miles then broke a con-rod which bent a cam shaft, holed the crank cases and wrecked the spigot on the bottom of the barrels.

it seems doubtful these disasters are down to the oil. neither has had a professional oil analysis done and the one bloke which is likely to have, hasn't reported back the results.

I find that 50,000 miles can be had between rebores using mineral multi-grade changed around 1500-2000 miles with a cartridge oil filter fitted in the return line. seems reasonable to me especially with the cost differential £8 a gallon (UK gallons) for mineral and around £25 for Synthetics of any brand.

I've also had lengthy correspondence both by email and by phone from oil companies; shell, BP, Silkolene, putolene, Mobil among others not available outside the UK. these companies are not likely to have run the kind of tests on an old Brit engine like they would on any modern engines, so to cover their rears they're not likely to recommend a synthetic over a proven (albeit many years ago) lube. the cost just wouldn't make it worth their time.

ok, ok, i know you may be getting bored and wish i'd just get on with it, so here's the question;
Has anyone here used Synthetic oil as the engine lube in a Brit twin?
What were the results?
did you get an analysis?
Has anyone got any more proven info they could share?

any help would be appreciated
cheers
cheers.gif

triton, never having owned a brit twin, i am far from an expert. i have always heard though, that the synthetics leaked like the dickins from them, old hareys as well. it seems like the current crop of modern triumphs and hd's have no problems with this dubious feature, and as long as the engine dosen't leak to begin with, seem to do quite well on the synthetics. as far as the older brit twins, it looks like if there are no seal compalibility issues...{some of the older seal and gasket materials were not designed for the then new synthetics lubes}, a good thicker synthetic, say at least a 20w50, and probably better, a single grade 50 weight along the lines of a syn racing type oil, might be indeed, a fine choice for a beloved boneville or the like. cheers:
cheers.gif

by the way, triton, the new triumph rocket three sure is a monster. 2,300 inline triple. can somebody say torque? plus the dang thing runs like a comfortabele sportbike. seems like it's be a hard choice between the rocket and the kawasaki vulcan 2000, if someone was looking for a new mega~cruiser that could actualy run quick, with the large cruiser comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back