Change oil after sittng?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have Delo 15-40 in the ZX6E. It got ridden about 60 miles in the one week I had the bike before leaving. The oil will have been in the bike about 9 months, with only the 60 miles, and then some starts to keep the battery good. The gas got some Sta-bil, and the oil has gotten aobut 4 oz. of LC. Should I change it out when I get home, or wait until I am leaving to swap it out?

When I put a bike away I change the oil. Sometimes I end up with 50-100 miles on that oil before storage. When I get the bike out again I do not change the oil right away, but for peace of mind I do not run a full interval on it either. Maybe 500-1000 miles and I dump it.

I'm going to use storage fogging oil in my bikes this winter.
Fuel stabilizer helps too.

It will be fine, but I would suggest using a battery tender to keep the battery charged instead of starting the engine to charge it. You are doing more harm to the oil and engine by starting it for a short period of time than just leaving the engine off and using a charger.

Instead of putting your bike through countless damaging cold starts just to charge the battery, you should get yourself a $35 smart chager like a Battery Tender and leave the bike alone until you are ready to ride it. You plug it in and leave it alone all season.

A lot of bikes won't charge much, if at all in the short, low rpm start up that people do in the winter. Get a tender or just leave it. I have had my 02 model Softail since August of 01 and it still has the stock battery and has never been boosted or charged. It is stored about 4.5-5 months for winter in a heated area. All I do is change the oil and stabil the gas, shut it off and park it. It is not run or charged all winter and it starts fine in the spring. Thats almost 5 years on a stock battery that is only used 2/3's of the year with 0 problems. This bike has no clock or alarm to drain the battery when it is parked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back