Mobil 1 Truck and SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the official service manual for my Valkyrie, Honda recommends the following:

"Honda GN4 or HP4 4-stroke or equivalent motor oil certified to meet API service classification: SF or SG Viscosity: SAE10W-40."

I having been running Amsoil, their motorycle oil 10w-40, getting ready to change it out at about 2500 miles, and will be doing a UOA through Blackstone -- interested to see the results.

I just purchased M1 MX4T 10-40, via internet, difficult to find in the stores, cost was about $46 for 4 qts, which included the cost of shipping, or $11.50 per quart.

My question is this, I can get all day long M1 Truck & SUV 5w-40 for under $6 per quart, and am wondering if it will work for the Valk, a 6 cyl, about 100 HP, redlines at 6500 rpm, cruises at 3000 rpm at 65 mph.

Does the M1 Truck & SUV pose any clutch issues?

I am thinking according to Honda service manual, this oil would be just fine...but really not certain....

Thanks for any feedback,

RevRider

I use M1 Truck and Suv in my Yamaha Road Star Warrior, 1700cc air cooled twin, Honda CRF450X off road bike. Great shifting, as good as AMSOIL, as I have compared (just went through a case of new formula 10W-40). Walmart had it for $19.98 for a five quart jug, it's now $26.00 with the new oil gouging policy in place though.

I called Mobil on this, and they said it would damage the wet clutch. "It was not made for motorcycles", is what he said.

RR,
a perfect oil for you would be the Shell Rotella T 15w40 in the white 5qt jug at wal-mart for $7. it has been proven to be a great oil for bikes. especially with the weather you have all year long.
i used to live in El Toro and Mission Viejo, so i know exactly where you are at and the weather you enjoy.

as far as M1 T&S goes, look in the VOA section and you will find that (the 15w50 version) is the same as the old "Red Cap" and a very good oil for bikes with wet clutches. the only thing you really need to say away from is an Energy Conserving (EC rating) shown in the circle on the back of the bottle. this is probably mentioned in your manual as well (it is in mine).

can't wait to see your UOA, please post it in the motorcycle uoa section when you get it.

Autozone carries MX4T and it would probably be cheaper than having it shipped in. I'd run the T&Suv 5W-40 though, or Delvac 1. I pointed a couple of people to that oil for their motorcycles and they're using it with no problems.

Thanks for all the responses...I appreciate the time and information.

It's interesting that Mobil would say it is not for motorcycles, yet their Mobil 5000, on Mobil's website, says it is motorcycle worthy...this somehow doesn't make sense to me. The Mobil 5000, 10-40 grade, is ok - but their 5/40 syn is not?

On my next order, I definitely will support our site sponsor for the Mobil 1...

Since the purchase of my Valk in 2001, I have used the following:

Factory Fill = ?, I am thinking Honda GN4
600 miles = Honda HP4
1500 miles = Mobil 1 MX4T
3000 miles to the present 10,800 = Amsoil's motorcycle, 10w/40, using their filter also. I have been doing changes at around 2500 mile intervals on the Amsoil.

I will be posting the results here as soon as I change it out, which I am waiting for my oil filters to come in. Hopefully, can post UOA this month...

Great site, I appreciate all the info, and responses..

RevRider

Don't worry about using that 5w-40 whatsoever. It is exactly the same as Delvac 1 (absolutely no difference I have been told). I use it in my FJR and it really works well. If it promoted clutch slippage I expect that it would show itself with the FJR...! Once the DL650 has used it's current crankcase full of Delo for it's first three or four thousand kilometres, I shall be using D1 in it, too.

Great oil for bikes from actual experience. Of course so is Delo along with mineral & synthetic Rotella T.

John.

John.

quote:

Originally posted by RevRider:

It's interesting that Mobil would say it is not for motorcycles, yet their Mobil 5000, on Mobil's website, says it is motorcycle worthy...this somehow doesn't make sense to me. The Mobil 5000, 10-40 grade, is ok - but their 5/40 syn is not?

RevRider

Did it say that about Mobil 5000 on the website? Could you post the link please.

Hi Jon,

This is the exact verbiage on the Mobil 1 website, FAQ section for Mobil Clean 5000:

Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?

If your four-cycle motorcycle or boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000.

Obviously, if you have a two-cycle motorcycle or outboard engine, you must use a two-cycle oil. However, we recommend that you follow the recommended oil change interval in your owner's manual.

AS YOU CAN SEE, THEIR MOBIL CLEAN 5000 APPEARS TO BE FINE FOR MOTORCYCLES, APPARENTLY NO CLUTCH ISSUES.

A little confusing...

RevRider

What Reg# said, gets along with clutches fine, it is NOT an energy saving oil. My RS Warrior is 1700cc air cooled V-twin with 125lbft of torque spinning a 200mm rear tire, this will spin up a clutch if it did slip. My CRF450 also has no problems with it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back