140 degree oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to check my oil temp after driving home from work yesterday. The outside temp was 43f, distance traveled was 5 miles at 50 mph. When i got home i inserted a digital therm and it read 140f. Oil used was Rotella 15w-40. I started out in a 70f heated garage at work, so the oil only heated up 70f in 5 miles. I will be changing to 5w-40 Rotella soon. I hope this helps. I think 140 is too cool of an oil temp. Isn't it?
By the way, in 75 summer weather after a hard ride with Amsoil 10w-40 the temps were 212f.

5 miles isn't far/long enough to get the oil up to temperature. If that's your typical commute ride then you definetly fall into the "severe use" category. I believe moisture & fuel begin evaporating off at about 130-135f.

Minimal engine wear is achieved when the oil operates at a minimum of 180F. This is due primarily to acid buildup at lower temperatures.

Most of us have been lulled into thinking that the oil warms up within a couple minutes based on the temperature gauge in our automobiles. Turns out it takes approximately 20 minutes for the engine oil to come up to operating temperature. In your car, and in your bike. Car or bike, the engine should run for a minimum of 30 minutes (preferabley an hour) on a warm day to drive off condensation.

In years of yore, when engine thermostats were 160F, an hour of operation minimum was required before condensation would start to evaporate out of a car's engine oil.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

Minimal engine wear is achieved when the oil operates at a minimum of 180F. This is due primarily to acid buildup at lower temperatures.

Most of us have been lulled into thinking that the oil warms up within a couple minutes based on the temperature gauge in our automobiles. Turns out it takes approximately 20 minutes for the engine oil to come up to operating temperature. In your car, and in your bike. Car or bike, the engine should run for a minimum of 30 minutes (preferabley an hour) on a warm day to drive off condensation.

In years of yore, when engine thermostats were 160F, an hour of operation minimum was required before condensation would start to evaporate out of a car's engine oil.

That is the sump average temp. The oil gets hotter as it gets between the bearings,pistons,cam and valve train and oil pump etc.

I did the same test last night again. But this time i was using Rotella 5w-40 instead of 15w-40. Same temp outside (43), same ride ect. When i got home oil temp was 144f using 5w-40 vs. 140f using 15w-40.

you have an ambient temp problem.

move SOUTH!!!!
wink.gif

JonS writes: I did the same test last night again. But this time i was using Rotella 5w-40 instead of 15w-40. Same temp outside (43), same ride ect. When i got home oil temp was 144f using 5w-40 vs. 140f using 15w-40.

---------------------------------

I suspect the slightly different maximum temperature falls into the "margin-of-error" category. In reality, the 15w-40 oil should have generated more internal (oil) friction heat than the 5w-40.

Regarding riding at 43F, . . .

I just switched from 15-50 Mobil-1 to 5-40 Mobil-1 in my BMW R1100rs. In all the years(5) I've owned the bike it takes 5-7 miles to reach normal temperature on the bikes guage, which is five indicated bars. Now with the 5-40 Mobil-1 its been taking 20+ miles to warm up. It seems like it stays on 4 bars forever. We have had a warm November here in Pa.,so the riding has been done on 60 deg. plus days. The bike turns over easier, idles smoother when its cold, and seems to run cooler on lighter oil. This time next year I'll see how much the bike consumed compared to the 15-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back