hdeo's and cat converters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have heard the using the popular hdeo 15-40's might not be suitable for mc's equipped with cat converters? it seems like if these oils are designed for mixed fleet, gas and deisels, that this would have been taken into consideration? any truth to this matter, or is this another internet rumour? what bikes would these oils be unwise to use in? thanks, penzdude
frown.gif

Diesel oils do have higher amounts of phosphorous and zinc, both known to be detrimental to catalytic converters. Bike specific oils have higher amounts as well.

The question should be; Do diesel oils have high enough amounts of zinc and phosphorus to harm catalytic converters? Would the harm be dramatic or a gradual degradation of the converter over many, many miles?

I have used diesel HDEO on my bikes with cat converters as well as gas engined cat converter fitted cars, my cats have had no clogging of any kind or any ill effects for that matter, my emissions have remained within limits as well, even oh high mileage engines with regular HDEO use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back