Just bought me a new ATV! When to change the break-in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 05, Honda 400ex quad. This model is air cooled, has a small oil cooler, manual trans w/reverse and a manual clutch.

I can't pick it up till tomorrow but whats the general conscensus on the 1st oil change?

How many hours?

I also noticed that the dealer stocks Amsoil M/C oils and I'm considering running that.
cheers.gif

chris, not sure they even have a "break in" oil anymore, probably just the regular honda dino of the correct weight. if it were mine, i'd probably just go w/ what the manual recomended at least until the warranty was over. not sure how long that period is w/ a atv, but i'm assuming 6months at least, if not a yr. by then the motor will be surely be ready for the oil of your choice, including the amsoil mentioned. of course they will recomend the honda line of lubricants, but i'm sure any of the brand name dinos of the correct vis would suffice in a pinch w/o voiding the warranty requirements. 15-40s seem popular in these applications, although i'm sure honda doesn't mention them in their manual. maybe after the first 5-10 hrs of run time and then whatever intervals they suggest? have fun with your new toy!!!
fruit.gif

As long as you run an oil that meets the required specs then they can't deny your warranty.

I agree. Do the first change fairly soon. A lot of crap comes out of a new engine first oil change.

What rokky and Tom said, it has a shared transmission and you will be horrified what your oils going to look like the first couple of changes. You not only have engine break-in particles, but what the clutch and the transmission kick out also.

quote:

A lot of crap comes out of a new engine first oil change.

I have had 2 Honda ATV's and never seen any crap come with the oil change. Maybe with others but the Honda's are better built. I know the local dealer well. He sells 2 other well known brands and the Honda see's the least problems of the lot. One well know brand he sells he claims are nothing but problems. Took me out in the shop one day and there were no Honda's in for repair but about a dozen of this brand. They have more power and look more agressive but break down a lot more.

According to my owners manual for the Rancher, first oil change is at 100 miles....

I got a 2005 Rancher 400AT 4x4 this spring. I drove for about 1 hrs and 25 miles, then changed it over to synthetic oil and won't touch it again to next spring. Got about 1000 miles on it.

These Honda ATV' are tough. Honda ATV Magazine has a story this summer about a railroad the uses them for maint work on trains. They use them run around the yards, run 24/7 except for lunch and shift changes. Some had over 50,000 miles on them and the only thing they changed was tires.

btw - This is my second Rancher (had a 2001) and the oil always looks clean like the day it was put in. I ran synthetic in the '01 also after about 1 hr of use.

I got it today. The book says to change the oil @ 20 hrs or 100 miles. Then every 600 miles therafter.

So far I have about 17 miles/45 mins on it. Tomorrow I'll go on another ride and change the oil and filter after that.

At first it was very gutless. I was wondering if I had left the choke on, I had not. After 30 mins or so it began to run a little better. I rode it up a dirt trail that goes from 2800ft level to 4800 in 3 miles. plenty of on the gas and off the gas to seat the rings and work the gears.

Seemed to run alot better after this excursion
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
These Honda ATV' are tough. Honda ATV Magazine has a story this summer about a railroad the uses them for maint work on trains. They use them run around the yards, run 24/7 except for lunch and shift changes. Some had over 50,000 miles on them and the only thing they changed was tires.
I beg to differ opinion, I work for a canadian railrod, we own 3 different brand of ATV and they are basically all the same regarding reliability, but hey the legend about Honda must live
wink.gif

The are on duty 24 hrs a day 7 days a week too, poorly maintained in a very tough environment.

i recommend the first change after 15-30 minutes of very gentle riding then again about 2 hours after that. those filters are very little.

but why did you get a 400EX ? must not have many riding buddies. or they're like mine and all have littler machines. they mostly have Hondas 300's and 450's and i have THE GRIZZLY !

Update. I changed the original oil/filter @ around 25 miles. The 2nd oil/filter was ran for 100 miles and dumped. I plan on running the curant oil/filter for 500 miles.

Speaking of Hondas quality theirs a 1988 Honda SX200 sitting in my garage thats driven Extremly Rough. Its actually ben dropped off a 10 foot cliff (Mainly because I started climbing the hill and the tires lost traction and it was getting ready to flip so I just jumped off and let it go). It never quit running even when it was upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back