Yamaha XT350 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Golden Spectro 20W50 in my 1985 BMW R80RT for years. I've recently acquired a 1991 Yamaha XT350 and wonder if it is okay to use the GS in it? I ask because the Yamaha has a so-called "wet" clutch (BMW doesn't). Will the synthetic component of the GS make the "wet" clutch slip?

I'm sure that the Golden Spectro is Jaso MA rated for wet clutches if it is a motorcycle oil. I've never had good luck with Golden Spectro.

Thanks for the reply tmorris. I'm not familiar with the "MA" rating. This means that any oil with that rating is okay for wet clutches?

What kind of "luck" did you not have with Golden Spectro?

quote:

Originally posted by SWSportsman:
Thanks for the reply tmorris. I'm not familiar with the "MA" rating. This means that any oil with that rating is okay for wet clutches?

What kind of "luck" did you not have with Golden Spectro?

JASO MA means no friction modifiers to hurt wet clutch performance. JASO MB can have some friction modifiers (never seen this).

I used Golden Spectro in some of my dirt bikes. It didn't seem to hold up well in my engine. Shifting was worse and I had some consumption that I never used to have. I also thought the price was high. You can get a good synthetic for not much more than what the Golden Spectro dino cost. I also saw some tests on a different website and the Golden Spectro was rated enar the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back