devac 1300 15w40 or hd 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wanted opinions here. 1200 sporty, stage 1 kit. currently using synpower 20-50, but i know hd recommends 15-40 as a viable oil to use when a 20-50 isn't available. is the delvac robust enough to use full time in these bikes? motor doesn't use any oil other than what blows out the breather, sporty owners holla!, and am thinking about the delvac 1300 super 15-40 as an alternative so i can use one oil in 3 apps. the hd, the kawa zrx1200.."wet clutch" and my honda mower. then i can just buy one other oil in the usual 5-30 for the aerostar and the wifes blazer 4.3. thanks,
burnout.gif

I've run the Delvac in my '82 Kawa 750 for a few years until Wally World stopped carrying it. No problems with it at all. I never did run a UOA on it though, as this bike is my 'commuter scooter' and gets the snot beaten out of it
twak.gif

thanks guys. i'll probably just run it for 2 thou, and forgo the uoa. wally word still carries it in my area, although rotella seems to occupy alot more shelf space. saving the pennys for either a bagger or a dyna sg custom. seems like lots more dealers are selling at or below msrp now. lots of really nice metric cruisers out there. i see where kawasaki has a new vulcan 900 to replace the old 800 classic. full size bike, 2 flavors, standard, or w/ the windshield, bags and backrest sissy bar. new belt drive, replacing the old chain. very reasonable priced.

Delvac 15W-40 would shift far better than 20W-50, it also keeps the insides way cleaner.

the kawasaki maual call for 10-40. the hd, has a seperate tranny fill. the bike seems to shift better with a dedicated gear oil, currently the syn power 80w90, than it did w/ a "all holes" syn 20-50. thanks guys.

It would probably work, but I would definitely do a UOA to be sure.

While Harley does allow for 15W40 "in a pinch," they also recommend going back to 20W50 ASAP.

For the cooler months, I think 15W40 would be fine.

For 90+ degree temps, I'd have some concern about shearing to a 30 weight. The 50's shear to 40's early on. HD likely knows that the engine needs a 40 weight oil, so they spec the 20W50, knowing it will shear early.

They okay the 15W40 diesel oil for times when their 20W50 can't be found. But again, they want you to switch it out as soon as you can. Probably before it shears to a 30...

UOA is the only way to know how that oil is going to look after 2000 miles.

If I were pressed into running a 15W40 diesel oil in my bike (1994 Low Rider, Evolution engine) in hot weather I would definitely pour about 7.5 ounces of STP in there to thicken it to a 50 weight. Some might disagree with that, but I'm personally familiar with a few HD's that have high mileage on them and have been fed STP for several years without problems.
smile.gif

Dan

if you want a 15w40, why not use Shell Rotella T?
i've tested it in my bike and out of the 14 tests (15th is at blackstone right now) it is 1 of only 2 oils that did NOT shear out of grade.
and talk about available, SRT can be found anywhere!!!
so far, Valvoline VR1 sae50 is by far the best oil i've used and tested.

thanks again dudes. fuel tanker, i was under the assumption, that the stout 15-40 mixed fleet, would stay a 40wt about as long or longer, than the sheared 20-50 gas oil? maybe not? hey, if you're ever down va beach way, send a private message and we can ride. lots of nice places to ride around here. sunruh, thanks as well. the rotella is certainly easier to find in this part of se va, and i have heard good things about it as well. what do you ride? i like em' all. classic british, sportbike, touring, cruiser. gotta have it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back