Thinking about buying an 883 Sportster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have known several people who bought the smaller Harley bikes and all of them had problems with idle and electrical systems. i'm not an expert or anything... i ride a '78 CB750K, but i think that Harley seems to be a bit more about image than quality.

i think Suzuki is making some of the best looking, best designed road bikes today.

People have a misconception about the 'bent over' riding position of sport bikes. Most think that cruisers are better for your back. They arent. I was in traction 3 times a week for 8 months and the therapist said that the people that ride cruisers are a lot worse off than you'd think. The weight is all right over their hips nad their muscles arent required to be tense so it's all dead weight on the lower back. Not good.

My Buell's riding position, along with most sport touring bikes is the ideal position.

As far as MX, the XL/XB motors are roughtly 50 years old (in basic design) so you'd think they are bulletproof. I had two bad rockerbox gaskets (before the factory went to the metal gaskets), 2 primary gaskets, a seeping pushrod tube cover, two fork seals and some electrical gremlins, including a bad speedo sensor.

I used to be ****** about the problems, but it's not hard to work on, and it can take a beating and come back for more. I've accepted it for what it is and ride it like it was intended. It's not a racer replica, so I dont ride it like one. It's a competant bike, and handles better than a sportster. I'd really stay away from an 883, just because they cant get out of their own way. The gas mileage is a plus too! Once I get mine jetted for this area, I should be up around 50 mpg again.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you should consider one of the tube framed Buells. Stay away from the Fuel Injected ones. An M2 is basically a sportster motor with headwork. The resale on them sucks so there are plenty of them around for not a lot of money and you'll enjoy it much more than a sporty, unless you're into barbie doll fringe and ***-less chaps.
grin.gif

i own both a kawasaki zrx1200r and a 2000' xlh 1200 sportster. in my opinion, the harleys have been reliable bikes ever since the amf fiasco days. 5 yr old bike, 1 battery replacement and a slight rocker box weep, easily fixed. hope the kawa does as well, an 04 model, too early to tell yet. if ya got your heart set on a xl, i'd go w/ the 1200 from the start. most 883 buyers blow em out to 1200 eventualy anyhoo. presently, i have valvoline syn power 20-50 in the mill, and the syn power gear oil in the tranny. seems like the bike likes it, no consumption, and shifting is excellent. ride safe bro's, imports and hd's!
crushedcar.gif

One of the reasons why I'm thinking about the Sportster is because my 1992 883 was so reliable. A lot of people were replacing the stock carb with an S&S back then but mine never gave me any problems. Another reason I like the Harley is the upright riding position. I'm 44 years old now and starting to have issues with my back, so I would prefer the taller suspension assuming it has more travel. Not concerned with going fast, just like to putt around and have the wind in my face once again. BTW I do like the looks of the 2003 model the best, and they seem reasonably priced.

cousincletus, i feel ya. i'm 45, and just getting over 1 rupture disc, and have 2 bulging ones too. i have to lay on my stomach and prop my chin in my palms every morn, and eve, for as long as i can stand it. i have even had to do it on rides with my club, when we take smoke breaks etc...lol. they call em mackenzie exercises or something like that, but they do work, at least for me. learned em in physical therapy. gets some funny looks and comments from the other members, but all in good jest. sometimes i feel it's time for a geezer glide. man, i really like the wings too.

I'll keep that in mind. My 1992 883 would hardly get out of its own way, and I figure that kinda protects me from myself. Believe me, I don't need a Ninja or similar fast bike because if the power is there I'll be tempted to use it. But the Buell does seem like an acceptable alternative. What years and models are the most problem free?

If you're keen on performance you're probably looking at a Japanese bike of some sort anyway, unless you have lots of money. The 600cc bikes are hitting the 10s in the 1/4 mile, and the 1 liter bikes are breaking into the nines at 145 mph in the quarter. An 883 is an affordable way to get into a very different driving style. I always had sport cruisers of some sort and a couple of friends had Sportsters. On occasion I'd ride one and it was amazing at how many responses you'd get. Stop on the side of the road and all sorts of people would stop to ask if you needed anything, full dressers to outlaws.

But, I do remember working in shifts to get the bike started sometimes, one had a kick start, and als ohaving to put one next to a fire during a campout as it was cold enough that you couldn't kick it thru.

It's true that Harley Davidsons have some sort of inexplicable mystique about them.

My friend just traded his Suzuki Hayabusa in on a Harley Night Rod (darkened, lowered version of the V-rod).

He has commented that folks have approached him to talk to him about that bike in droves, whereas there seemed less than ten percent such interest in the Suzuki--even though it is one of the fastest production motorcycles ever built, and would easily outperform the V-rod in stock configurations.

The Harleys of the last fifteen years or so have garnered the reputation of being almost boringly reliable. It's not uncommon to see Evolution engines with over 100K miles on them, having never needed service. So things have improved greatly in that regard.

If you want speed and handling and low initial cost, the metric bikes have cornered that market and aren't likely to give it up anytime soon.
smile.gif

But if you want a true biker's bike, the Harley Davidsons are where to look. That patented v-twin rumble speaks directly to the hearts and libidos
smile.gif
of most Americans, and yes, to much of the world. Women stop to look. And wonder...
smile.gif
Somehow that machine is alive, seemingly with a heart and soul of its own.

Dan

I was under the impression the "patented v-twin rumble" was denied.

And ""reliable"? Not according to recalls, Motorcycle consumer news, the class action lawsuit against the twin cam 88, etc.

Any facts to the positive?

thanks,

I should add in fairness and to be on topic; my work associate purchased a sportster, put on a wind shield and saddle bags.

Then rode to Alaska and back, without any issues related to his bike. He had a great time and will have a life time of memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back