Thinking about buying an 883 Sportster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being off a m/c for 11 years, I have the fever again and going to buy another bike. I had a 1992 Sportster (bought new because of the ridiculous resale value) but I see now that a used one can actually be bought cheaper than a new one. I know to check the frame head for signs of straightening and obvious crash damage, check engine compression, but is there anything else I need to do? Any inherent Sportster problems to look for? I am looking for one as factory stock as possible. Probably around 5 years old with under 10K miles on it. My 1992 883 was practically bulletproof, but don't know if the newer ones are made as well. Any help greatly appreciated as always.
cheers.gif

I guess I'll mention the obvious, since no one else has chimed in yet. Make sure you check for rocker box and cylinder base gasket leaks. These are common on Harley's that havent been properly warmed up before being ridden hard. Also, primary cover is another common leak area, though usually much cheaper to fix than the previous two. Other than that, you can visually see just about everything on the bike...brakes, tires, clutch cable condition, etc. You might want to look into an '04 or later model. Larger tank available, rubber mounted engine, just a bunch of improvements on the XL line. Hope this helps a little

I'm no HD expert (my last sporty was a 72 ***) but I understand the new ones that have the rubber mounted motors (or balancer?) are a big improvement over previous generations. My dream would be to do one in a storz or street tracker kit just to be different.

You didn't mention the year you're looking at buying. In 2004, HD increased the frame size and went to a rubber mount. 1200's got single fire ignition, hotter "W" grind cams and "HB" high-flow heads. In 2005 HD increased the axle size. With these improvements, 04'/05' Sportys are holding their value a little better than 03' and earlier. IMO, I'd look for a clean 04'/05'1200.
There are two 05' 1200Cs in my garage. Both have been trouble free. I'd recommend Mobil 1 75W-90 in the Transmissions and Havoline 20W-50 in the engine.

I'm a member of XLForum.net, you should be able to find plenty of info on '04's and up.

Currently I have an '03 883/1200. I purchased this bike used last year with a total of 71 miles on it from a private party. This is my second Sportster.

At the time, I was looking at an '04/883. Went with the '03 for a couple of reasons, cost was one of them.

There is a Harley Davidson shaped void in every true American's heart. Don't try to fill it with tripe or you'll have to kid yourself to stay happy.

Yeah, do it, man! HD all the way!
smile.gif

-

Dan

I had a 1986 Sportster and it rode like a motorbike. I rode it just like I have rode anything else and it did just fine. Now years later I have a Honda VFR but I miss the old Sportster sometimes. The only draw back to the old 883 was the small fuel tank and the iffy carburater. An S&S Super E hooked it right up.

quote:

Originally posted by KellyL:
I have a sportster, except it's a Buell. It's what the sportster should have been made as first.
grin.gif

cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Unfortunatly your average Harley rider is more concerned about his rugged individualist uniform than good handling.

The HD's are really kicking butt in the NHRA Pro-Stock Motorcycle series. Check this out:

http://www.nhra.com/stats/points.htm#psm

http://www.nhra.com/2004/events/race12/reports/F_Collis.html

From the link above:

The NHRA Competition Committee amended the minimum weight rule for the Pro Stock Bike category earlier this week. The rule amendment dictates that the minimum weight requirement for the Harley Davidson and NHRA-accepted American push rod V-twin (such as the G2/S&S/Star Racing Buell) up to 160 cid entries will be increased to 615 pounds from 575 pounds. The amendment becomes effective at this weekend's NHRA Sears Craftsman Nationals at Gateway International Raceway.

"This adjustment in minimum weight was based upon actual Pro Stock Bike performance data gathered during the 2004 national events. Considering the variety of engine designs and manufacturers now participating in this category, the change was necessary in order to maintain a competitive balance within Pro Stock Bike," said Cary Menard, NHRA's vice president of technical administration and legal affairs.

Star Racing owner George Bryce, who along with George Smith, part owner of S&S Cycle, Incorporated are partners in G Squared Motorsports which field the G2/S&S/Star Racing Buell driven by Fred Collis, had the following comments regarding the rule change.

"Even though we don't necessarily agree with the severity of the rule change and we don't like how quickly it was imposed upon us, Star Racing, G Squared Motorsports and S&S Cycle always play by the rules," said Bryce. We're going to do our best to make the changes required to the motorcycle so that we can compete this weekend. But the NHRA has forced us to make our test runs under national event conditions.

So. Suzuki, after dominating this competition for so many years, cried foul when Harley Davidson started dusting the stank off of those in-line fours that Suzuki had been doing so well with. Did Harley every ask that Suzuki be sandbagged? No. How pathetic. It is interesting to see the V-Rods still in a commanding (insulting, actually
grin.gif
) lead over the Suzukis--even with the extra 40 pounds! Guess the ricers will cry and get 80 pounds for the 2006 season.

Dan

Dan

quote:

Did Harley every ask that Suzuki be sandbagged?

Seems like I remember a cry for tariffs and govt. bailout money? How pathetic.

The HD has advantage on the start with traction that the v twin "cadence" lays down. Now extend the race out 1/2 mile and things might be different.

Their pro stock effort didn't just happen, it is fueled by the best people in the business, and virtual blank check from HD. Every part in the engine is one off, only thing left HD on it is the decal.

Nice to see some competition though the suzi's were getting old. Thanks to all "individualist" for funding the project!

All forms of racing make rule changes to make the racing closer, and yes, I'm sure the suzi teams did whine to get it.

Well, wiley, to be fair--the Suzukis aren't stock either!
smile.gif

Each engine is the best it can be--at least at this point in time. The Screamin' Eagle V-rod, and the S&S engines that the Buell's are running are both impressive.

Dan

Yup, I recall the laughable 700cc displacement ITC tariff that you Americans had to put up with in the Eighties... We used to laugh our asses off at the whole thing.

John.

Righto Dan, wasn't trying to make a rice vs HD thing. Just stating that the success has more to do with the engine configuration and the cubic dollars poured into it than it's brand.

HD shaped motors have ruled topfuel for many years now and still do, even though the 4cyl efforts made way more power. It's about getting it to the track somehting they do well.

The tariff was the key to HD success but not in the way one would think. Did they use the pricing to sell more bikes, NO. Did they use the taxpayer subsidy to redesign the product to make it better (something people would buy), NO again.
What happened then? Japan responded to the tariff with the attitude "scru em, we played the game and didn't try and copy the american bikes, but now it's war and we're going after that market segment". It was when the "copy's" started showing up that the "original" became more desireable. So in some twisted way you can thank the ja ps for HD recent success, they didn't get it restarted with great bikes. Don't get me wrong I love HD and respect them for what they are.

To get back the the 883/1200 Sportsters...I know first hand that KellyL's 1200 runs like a regular bike. He makes a lot of short trips of a mile or two and also will ride 500 miles in one sitting. It's a wonderful machine with very few MX issues. It I remember correctly he had a valve cover leak once and a fork seal go bad once over the past 6 years. Everything else has been just normal MX. Harleys haven't been high MX in years and years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back