Starting a bike that sat for 18 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Honda XR80 that's sat for the last 18 years. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I bought a new air filter (I figure the old one has deteriorated), I'm going to change the oil and gas, and probably pop off the float bowl to clean out any crust.

Is there anything else I should do before firing it, like squirt some oil in the spark plug hole?

cheers.gif

Pull the plug and if the piston goes up and down easily, there isn't much you should have to do. It might not be a bad idea to squirt some oil or fogging oil in the cylinder, change the oil and gas, and kick it over a few times with the kill switch to get some oil pumping to the top end before it starts because the cam is probably dry.

If the rings are stuck try dumping Seafoam in the cylinder for a soak. Seafoam works great also for keeping the carb clean and the gas stabilized.

I second the Sea Foam motion.
Also, take the carb all the way off and clean the heck out of it with brake cleaner or other strong solvent. Gas leaves a varnish when it deteriorates and will coat the jetting of the carb, making things run crappy.

XR's are fairly indestructable. One of the most reliable type engines honda has made.
Be sure and check the valve lash of the bike. It is easy to check and adjust. (it has a screw type mechanical adjustment that anyone can do with a couple wrenches and some feeler guages)

Get the manual!

Also, check for rubber rot--especially of the gas and brake lines! Don't want either of those lines to break on ya'. New tires and tubes are a must, too.

Change ALL fluids.

I'll bet that you have a lot of light surface rust inside the engine. Change the oil and filter, run the bike for 20 miles, then change the oil and filter again. You're going to knock off a lot of rust and don't need that floating around inside the engine.

I'd probably do an Auto-RX treatment, too.

Have fun with it!

How's the tank? Have you looked inside? Is it rust free?

Light surface rust in the engine? Baloney.

Auto RX? Forgetaboutit.

I think the Xr's had plastic tanks back then, so corrosion is not an issue. These things are bulletproof, change the oil and gas and start her up.

I have an '85 XR80R. pretty much bulletproof.

The float may need to be replaced in the carb, other than that clean it up, replace the rubber parts, and fork seals and it will probably run a long time.

the tank will be totaly filled with almost non removable gunk
so will the carbs, the engine may be frozen. you will want to prelube the engine if posible.

Other than what you mentioned I would give it a kick and see if she fires. If not then start doing all of the above. I just started a 88 XR250 that was sitting for ten years. I changed the oil, new air filter, added gas. Four kicks and she runs solid.

There's no spark, I have to dig into it a little further.

Anybody know if there's a shop manual available on line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back