Just changed to Trop-Artic 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed to Trop-Artic 10W-40 in my Suzuki Volusia 800. This oil is about the smoothest shifting oil I have used short of Amsoil. Previously had Supertech 15W-40 for about 2k and it was clunky shift and many false neutrals with that oil. The Trop-Artic is listed as both SM and SJ spec on the back with the SJ being what is recommend in the owners manual.

i agree with drive it forever. you find something good, stick to it. so i would put some amsoil back in.

Not sure about the moly content of that oil, but please let us know how it does over the miles.

Nice bike, by the way. A friend of mine has the same model and it'll easily hang with any of our big twin Harley's out on the highway.
smile.gif

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fred:
i agree with drive it forever. you find something good, stick to it. so i would put some amsoil back in.

$24 for Amsoil vs $4 for the Trop-Artic I change on average every six months makes me lean on the Trop-Artic. Bike sees only 1K-2K per year on mileage and I change more for age than mileage. I will agree that Amsoil is a better oil but I will never get a return on spending that extra money for it.

hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
Not sure about the moly content of that oil, but please let us know how it does over the miles.

Nice bike, by the way. A friend of mine has the same model and it'll easily hang with any of our big twin Harley's out on the highway.
smile.gif

Dan

Of the six bikes I have had over the last 15 years, I have never had trouble using a automotive spec oil so long as I stayed within the SAE rating and weight called out in the owners manual. I do stay away from the "energy conserving" labels.

Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
I will agree that Amsoil is a better oil

Why? Because it is more expensive than TropArtic? You can't prove, and neither can anybody else, that your engine will last longer using one or the other. I'm not interested in long OCI's. I want a fresh fill of dino...not a crankcase full of old promises.

quote:

Originally posted by jimcor:

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
I will agree that Amsoil is a better oil

Why? Because it is more expensive than TropArtic? You can't prove, and neither can anybody else, that your engine will last longer using one or the other. I'm not interested in long OCI's. I want a fresh fill of dino...not a crankcase full of old promises.

There is a difference. I ran the bike a summer down here in San Antonio were temperatures exceed 100+ for more than 30-40 days. Using Amsoil the bikes coolant fan maybe twice kicked in. Using dino the next summer, the fan would kick on every day. Coupled with a 1-2 mpg gain with the Amsoil over dino, I knew the Amsoil was a better oil. I mainly switched to Dino because my rate of return due to changing oil every six months for age rather than mileage did not make sense to keep using the Amsoil.

Hootbro

Hoot, that still doesn't mean the Amsoil will make your engine last any longer than the TropArtic.

The fan, well that's what it's there for. One could make the argument if it never ran it would lock up from non-use. So the TropArtic is better. (man, am I reaching on that one or what?) OK, synthetics are said to run cooler. I've seen the claims, but have never made any measurements myself.

Easy to misplace a mile per gallon here or there if you're not making some very precise measurements when fueling. It's easy to find what you want to find.

quote:

Originally posted by jimcor:
Hoot, that still doesn't mean the Amsoil will make your engine last any longer than the TropArtic.

The fan, well that's what it's there for. One could make the argument if it never ran it would lock up from non-use. So the TropArtic is better. (man, am I reaching on that one or what?) OK, synthetics are said to run cooler. I've seen the claims, but have never made any measurements myself.

Easy to misplace a mile per gallon here or there if you're not making some very precise measurements when fueling. It's easy to find what you want to find.

First of all, I am not on the soap box to prove the world that Amsoil is better. For the money and the OCI I do on my vehicles, I am satisfied with dino and feel synthetics not worth "my" money. My experience with Amsoil in the past has been positive and I know what results "I" have had. If price was no object, then Amsoil would be my primary oil. I know for a fact with my vehicles that Amsoil always ran cooler and cold weather starts better with noticeable gains in MPG over any dino I have used. I am not a lab and I am not here to satisfy your needs for hard data. I really could give a crap for whatever Amsoil axe you have to grind. Any of your rants or theories does not change my experience. All engines operate within a "tolerance" designed by engineers. Some oils, maily synthetics make engines operate in a tolerance that is more benificial but most are not at a disservice with dino that still operates within a engines tolerance for oil. I do the oil changes on four vehicles and a motorcycle in my household and to use sythetics is cost prohibitive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back