Just bought a new 2006 KLR 650...some ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2006 Kawasaki KLR650; a 4-stroke single cyl motorcycle. My first bike in 15 years!

I am planning on switching to a good quality synthetic oil, but what would you guys recommend for a break-in oil. Kawasaki brand dino? Or an automotive dino? How long would you go before the switch to synthetic. I'll probably change out the factory oil at 500 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Foch

Save your money and use a name brand dino 15w40. My 92 klr seems to like it as good or better than anything I've used. Congrats on the new bike! you'll enjoy it.

Wiley is right that a good HDEO 15W-40 will give you good service for a long time. But if you're looking for the best you can get, and some cold weather ability as well (I know it gets cold in northern New England) then personally I would recommend a heavy duty synthetic 5W-40, like Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac 1. Using Kawasaki dino for the break in seems to me the safest option, and I would probably make the switch to synthetic at 1000 or 1500 miles.
Did you read Glen Heggstad's Two Wheels Through Terror? I know it made me want a KLR more than ever! I wonder what kind of oil he used?

I used Amsoil 10w-40 in my '02 Honda 750. Loved it. But with the price increase i started using Rotell 15w-40 and it feels great (price and performance). I will use the Rotella 5w-40 in the winter.

Foch, congrats on your new bike! I ride a '99 that I bought used just this year.

I encourage you to check out the Dual Sport News mailing list--lots of very knowledgeable fellow riders. Read the FAQ and consider changing your doohickey.

As for oil, I'm currently running Rotella 5W-40 and am cleaning my engine with Auto-RX. I think the oil is a fine oil, but I don't believe it can hold its viscosity for very long in a motorcycle transmission. I'll be doing a UOA on it at around 3,500 miles to confirm.

In the future I'll probably be using Redline 10W-40. It'll probably hold its viscosity better than any other oil because its a Group V oil, and it'll address some concerns I have about turning high RPMs while my engine and oil are cold.

You can also see my previous UOA, if you're interested.

Stay away from syn oil use a good 10-40 or 20-50 if it is real hot.

Those are nice can do it all motorcycles

The good news is that they are tough bikes. Any quality oil you use will work just fine. I owned one and rode it for quite a few miles. I had a few simple problems and took the engine apart to build it up. It looked just fine inside.

Chris

foch,i would use a 10-40 syn oil. i have found that the syn oils hold up better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back