Delo 400 in Kawasaki Mean Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I would like to say I am a firm believer in synthetic lubricants. Have used them for years in both cars and motorcycles. The bike I have now is FI 1500cc Kawasaki V-twin and after the first 500 miles has seen nothing but synthetic both in the motor and rear end. I have used Amsoil 20W-50, Shell Rotella 5W-40, Mobil 1 15W-50 (redcap) and Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W-40. The Amsoil 20W-50 and Mobil 1 15W-50 gave me smooth shifts for the 3000 mile OCI's. The Rotella didn't shift as well as the 20-50 or 15-50 oils but other then that it was fine. When Mobil quit making the 15W-50 red cap I switched to the Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W-40, after about 1500 miles my transmission started shifting cluncky and it got worse so at 2500 miles I dumped the T&SUV, after reading some good things about Delo 400 I decided to try it even if it's not synthetic, I was only concerned about the moly in the Delo and my clutch. It was 103 degrees today and I rode about 75 miles and never noticed any clutch slippage, my bike has 34,000 miles on it so if the moly is going to make the clutch slip I would think it will not take to long.

Don't think the moly used in the delo is the type that would cause concern for clutches. Do a search here for Mos2 and MODTC. I think the big freak-out on moly and bikes started years ago when moly solids were being used in some oils or additives that people may pour in. Soluble forms of moly don't seem to be a problem and you'll even find them in MC oils that carry the latest jaso spec for bikes. IMO your shifting observations are a more a function of viscosity than actual brand or basestock type. Even though 5/40 and 15/40 are both 40w's the 5/40's for whatever reason always seem to go thin faster(or at least it shifts like it) than the 15/40. In my simple mind 5w isn't bike season anyway so I choose the 15/40 if I want a 40w.

I have been running the new Delo 400 in my RMZ 450(MX BIKE)I am on my 3rd oil change,change oil every 2 rides.Absolutely,positive engagement all the time,MX track with some trail riding also.I see some pretty loamy soil in top gear. There is no question about it ,MY CLUTCH IS HOOKING!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!
Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"

Hans. I put over 100k Miles on a Kawasaki 1100 running Delo 15W-40. I believe I sold it at 118K miles and it was still not showing any signs of wear or sludging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back