My bike is using Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my 05 Harley FLHTI to drive to and from work. At the 1k service I switched all fluids over to Amsoil MCV20w50. Im very happy with the shifting and the 20-30 mile more per tank of gas I get. At 1,500 miles I had to add a half quart to top off. I was out of amsoil so I used mobil1 15w50. Why is my bike burning oil now with synthetic? My commute is 76 miles each way at highway speeds, is that the reason?

I found that I had noteable consumption on my '94 Low Rider (Evolution, 1340cc engine) with Mobil 1 15W50.

I've been using regular Havoline 20W50 car oil for the last three oil changes, and consumption has been reduced very dramatically.

I've gone from using nearly a quart in 2500 miles to less than 6 ounces.
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about the consumption, really. So long as it doesn't bite you too hard in the wallet, that is...
grin.gif
I've yet to see a Harley engine that didn't use a bit of oil between changes...

Dan

Amsoil has a very low vaporization rate, why your burning is unknown. I run synthetic and don't have that issue and much higher rpm sustained.

Try going back to regualar oil and see if it improves, other wise your piston rings may not have seated to well or valve seal issue.

But a quart for 1500 miles is unacceptible to me

2005's are well known for burning oil. Most believe it has to do with the valve change that Harley made between model years. Thinner valve stems and different seals. It has been happening with all oils.

I have been running Amsoil in my 2002 Harley with TC88B motor and have not had any consumption issues. I started using the Amsoil after a couple K and no trouble since. Perhaps the rings have yet to fully seat and are allowing some oil to burn???

if the rings didn't seat before the amsoil, they never will now.
been down that road 3 years ago, got the shirt and total top end redo to prove it. and that was with amsoil as well.

My buds at 30k miles still blows a lot of oil out the breather when running hard. It all ends up in the aircleaner housing, you might pull your apart and have a looksee?

I would say you probably changed out too early. I like to run at least 3,000-5,000 on dino before I switch. Heck I even recommend up to 10,000 on certain bikes like BMW's as they will use quite a bit during run it.

Switch back to dino for a little while then try the syn again later.

I know several HD owners and I have heard them talk about oil usage.

btw-Non of them use Amsoil, one uses Mobil 1 and the others use HD, I presume. A good friend went on big ride (1000's of miles in July) and thats all they talked about, 'he says' how much oil did you use etc.

So while I don't intend to critize HD owners, from those I know, oil usage seems to be something you need to live with. It may not be a bad thing!!!

I think flash point has a lot to do with this...

Havoline dino 20W50 has a flash point of 420 (as advertised) and it did measure at 420 and again at 400 degrees F in my last two UOA's. That's definitely higher than many synthetics you're going to see.

Why not try a 2500 mile run on Havoline 20W50 and see about consumption issues? I'll also bet your engine will be less "clicky" and "squeaky" with the dino oil--see if I'm not right.

Then do a UOA (which you can pay for with the money you save on the oil change
smile.gif
).

If you're like me, you'll never look back.
wink.gif

Dan

[ September 01, 2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: fuel tanker man ]

my motorcycle runs really smooth and quiet on synthetic oil. 3300 miles on this oil change and have not had to add any oil. i would not use dino in any motorcycle that i own.

My brother has a 2001 twin cam Soft tail that he uses Amsoil in, the older formula. We just completed a 9100 mile trip and I don't believe he had to add any oil. Whenever we could we cruised at 140 km/h (~87 mph)

Hylton

my cycle uses oil between changes also. 3k miles. i use amsoil 10w40 m/c oil. at first when i seen i was a 1/2 qt low when draining i was worried. then i was told this is normal for a bike this size i went from a kawasaki 800 to a kawasaki 2000 (2053cc's) Im guessing this engine with 4 inch pistons could be the reason why i am using oil, whereas the 800cc bike was a tight engine. Oil changes for this bike is costly 5.8 qts!!! Heres the bike im talking about..

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back