Commonly available Honda GN4 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a commonly available oil suitable to replace 10/40 or 15/50 Gn4 in Honda 4 wheelers? For the price, GN 4 isn't very highly thought of around here and I am open for suggestions. Thanks!

Any of the Amsoil xw-40 formulations will work, such as their 0w-40/10w-40/15w-40 or 15w-40, Dual Base (PCO) oil. For cold weather, I'd run either their 0w-40, Series 3000, 5w-30 or 10w-30/ACD diesel oil. All of these use an additive chemistry that meets the JASO MA, wet clutch specification.

Recommended service interval is two times the manufacturers recommended drain interval. If you use a Super Duty oil filter, you can also double your filter change intervals.

One of our Amsoil site sponsers, Mike Sparks is up in Tenn - I'd suggest giving him a call.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

I used to use GN4 in my Honda MC, then went to Amsoil 10w-40, until they came out with a new formula and new higher price. I now use Shell rotella 15w-40 and love it. In winter, i will use Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. On there website, it says both are ok for wet clutches.

I second the amsoil, I think I saw an oil (0w40?)
that was made for ATV use. I use MCV amsoil in my bike and Im very pleased.

Commonly available ? That cancels out Amsoil.. Sure, amsoil is probably one of the best oils but if you're looking for something that is readily available, better than GN4, and cheaper you can go to your local Walmart, Autozone, grocer, or gas station and pick up a bottle of something for a buck fifty.

Rotella is a good MC oil..If you want to go to Walmart just pick up some Rotella or another oil that works in wet clutches...The shelves are filled with oils better than GN4, and a couple of handfuls of them are wet clutch safe.

I'm going to use Catrol GTX 10W40 in the transmission of my CR250 MX bike....It get's lots of clutch abuse and it grabs just fine..Matter of fact I've done some hard race seasons on a couple of 125's with nothing but Castrol GTX in the gearbox...And 125's require lots of clutch work....

My buddy uses Castrol GTX in his Varner modified CR250 race bike and his 03' YZF R1...He holeshots every race and you're not going to holeshot if your clutch isn't grabbing...Runs smooth like butter...Not bad for a buck fifty oil.

quote:

Originally posted by sands:
Commonly available ? That cancels out Amsoil.. Sure, amsoil is probably one of the best oils but if you're looking for something that is readily available

It say's he's in TN. If he in anywhere near me I would say Amsoil is pretty common. It's in at least 4 motorcycle shops between here and Nashville.

I would have to second the comment that Amsoil is a pretty common sight in motorcycle shops. Just the other day I visited no less than three different motorcycle shops looking for a deal on a helmet and Amsoil was on the shelf in each shop.

Funny how the manufactures forbid moly then put it in there own jasoMA brand oils? maybe the manuals should read "don't use our oil"

The engineers at rotax (aprilla, bmw, etc) will tell you ALL fm and aw additives have potential to be a problem. So to say moly can be problem is true, but possibly not telling the whole story.

I have used the Amsoil MC 10W-40 in my 4 wheelers (2001 and now a 2005 Rancher 400).

Amsoil is readily available, a phone call or web site vistit will get you as much as you want. Around here most all the Power Sports Dealer have Amsoil in stock or can get it anytime they want to. How much oil can you use in a year with a 4 wheeler? Mine take 3 qts and I change once a year which amounts to anywhere from 100 to 1000+ miles (1000 rarely). So, get a few buddies, buy a case or two and you are set for a while. Its not like you have to change oil every 3 months or 30 miles. Amsoil is so good its worth a little inconvience to get it.

Some of the oils mentioned are auto/truck oils and not recommended for Honda 4 wheelers because they have friction modifiers that can affect wet clutchs. Dont' know about the M/C as I have not had one for over 10 yrs.

The following is from my 2004-2005 Honda Service manual for Rachers.

Recommended Oil:

4-stroke oil (without molybedenum additives)
API Service SG or higher except oil labeled "Energy Conserving"

JASO T903 Standard: MA
10W-40 20° to 100° F
10W-30 20° to 90° F
5W

Note - 15W-40 and 20W-50 are not on the list of recommened viscosities, so using them may cause the trans to not function as designed.

The type of moly used could be part of the story.
MoS2 or MOTD? I think the latter is far less of a concern for wet clutch use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back