Lube selection for Prairie 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

We've had a Kawasaki Prairie 700 4x4 for about a year now - has 104 hours on it. After initial break in on Kawasaki brand 40wt oil, we have used M1 10w-30 with a Wix filter for the last several oil changes. I did some research on this site and now I'm not sure that this is the best choice. It runs well, but I am ruined by you folks always selecting the best
wink.gif
The spec calls for 10w-40 SF or SG or SH, SJ with JASO MA Class (whatever that is).

This atv has a belt drive/torque converter drivetrain, so there is no wet clutch and it is essentually an automatic transmission with H/L selector.

What do you suggest as an over the shelf choice at WallyWorld or local auto parts for my engine oil choice based on 20-30 hr OCI? I have been considering Delo 400 15w-40 due to our hot climate.

The front gear case oil specification is the same as the engine oil spec. Would you use the same brand/viscocity?

The rear gear case oil is for Mobilfluid 424, or Citgo Transguard Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. Since we also have a Kubota tractor, I already have Kubota UDT hydraulic fluid in stock, which I would like to use. I will try to compare specs, but again, any recommendation on the rear gear lube? The rear gear case contains the rear brake discs (wet braking), but the Kubota is like that as well, so I don't see why the UDT fluid would not work.

15W50 Mobil 1 for cheap. Possibly RoTella 5W40 synthetic for slightly cheaper.
10W40 Mobil 1 MX4T for expensive.

Don't know abt the rear gear lube.

Thanks - I looked up the specs on the rear gear lube choices and it looks like the UDT is fine for this application.

I've had good luck with the Amsoil 0W40 and 10W40 oils in my ATVs and dirt bikes. It is a little cheaper than the M1 bike oils.

In searching thru past posts, it seems that Amsoil 10w-40 is the most used in these applications. Must be a good reason. Initially I was trying to avoid having to order the oil on-line, but since I order oil filters and all kinds of other stuff, it doesn't really make a difference.
I may give it a shot through one of the BITOG sponsors. My other choice would be the M1 MX4T 10w-40. Doesn't really seem to a concensus on the Delo 15W-40, so I'll stick to just using it my diesel tractor.
Thanks for your input.

Good note - I'll check with the one that I do business with. Thanks.

Some of the NAPA's around here carry Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by Mud:
In searching thru past posts, it seems that Amsoil 10w-40 is the most used in these applications. Must be a good reason. Initially I was trying to avoid having to order the oil on-line, but since I order oil filters and all kinds of other stuff, it doesn't really make a difference.
I may give it a shot through one of the BITOG sponsors. My other choice would be the M1 MX4T 10w-40. Doesn't really seem to a concensus on the Delo 15W-40, so I'll stick to just using it my diesel tractor.
Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back