Valvoline Motorcycle Oil - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to purchase either a Ducati, BMW, or Triumph motorcycle in the future. Is Valvoline Motorcycle Oil a good oil to run in these bikes? If there is a better oil for these bikes, please give your opinions on what oil you have seen work well with them.

Thanks.

if you go into Ducati store in my area, they only carry highend Motul or silkolene.

either 15w50 or 10w50 ,

motuls and silkoleens in 15w50 grades are indentical base oil, the motul adds a lot of moly to theirs, the silkolene is with out. They both are $13 PER QUART OIL. These are the highest grades of base oil on the market far as I know.

http://www.silkoleneshop.com/

I found a car place who carries the silk, and I contacted the company in the UK, all indication its the same oil at under $8 perquart, bought by the gallon, and the shipping its comes out around $9 perquart
. this the 15w50 pro R , notice they also have the 10w50 , also normally $13 per quart but $9 perquart on the auto side.

Valvoline's MC-specific (& under $3 per quart) oils are available in 10W-40 and 20W-50 weights: they are JASO MA rated. If your new bike calls for these weights & this spec, it is certainly ok to use them.

Are there "BETTER" oils available? Sure. They cost more, too...

Delo, Delvac, LongLife and other HDEO's may cost less than the Valvoline and many swear by them in MC applications.

As for the synthetics, Amsoil, Mobile 1, Motul, etc. all cost more but should provide a meaningful benefit, whether it be better shifting or longer OCI potentials.

You need to use the SEARCH function, IMHO.

Cheers!

I've used Castrol GTX and Valvoline 20-50 racing oil in my Ducati SSCR with no real problems. The only reason I switched to Mobil-1 15-50 was eaiser cold morning starts in the New England states when I was doing my fall foliage trips. One morning in New Hampshire it was 28 degrees. The Ducati fired up on the second try. I also have two BMW's; a R1100rs and a 79 R-65. I also use Mobil-1 15-50 in them with no problem. Years ago while at Walmart I bought six or seven 5 quart jugs of Mobil-1 for $15 a jug. Now I,m on my last jug so I might try 5-40 Truck and SUV in the bikes. My BMW and Duck have dry clutches, so you don't have to worry about fouling the clutch with the wrong oil. Unless you get that new BMW K1200S that has a wet clutch!

I'd definitely go with the Mobil 1 15W50 at 5 bucks a quart as opposed to those other oils with lesser pedigrees. Mobil has been in the business a long time, and their syns are pretty much top of the line.

With the Mobil 1 car oil, you can afford to change it out more often too--and added benefit.

The Valvoline motorcycle oils are probably fine. But there are probably car oils (Havoline comes to mind) that will hang with it or even outperform it.

If you're after an added touch up of ZDDP, there are cheaper ways to get it than by paying the price for cycle specific oils. GM's EOS (assembly lubricant) applied at about 1 ounce per quart of oil will give the zinc/phos count a real nice kick in the buttocks.
smile.gif

Dan

The motorcycle world would be happey to have you.
cheers.gif
The ducati dealer near me only has about 10 bikes. All of the bikes had stickers on the crankcase that said Shell Rotella T syn 15W40 only. I guess thats their factory fill. Sorry I cant comment on the Valvoline oil, but I use Amsoil and have great results. Plus if you talk to a dealer on this site you might get a great price on it.

Rotella t 15w-40 is not a synthetic. Rotella t 5w-40 is. Which is on the sticker?

the valvoline mc 10w-40 i used (with lc) sheared down to a 20 weight in 5000 miles.

bmw recommends 6000 mile oci. mine was still breaking in when it mangled this oil, but i wouldn't push it too far.

i have valvoline 20w-50 in right now (i'd changed the oil prior to receiving my uoa), but i doubt i let it go that far again.

valvoline mc uoa

FWIW, I poured Valvoline's new MC-specific engine oil in my 2000 Kawa KLR 250 (3000 miles) and now the gear shifing seems a bit harder.

I'd like to blame it on the Valvoline, but it's impossible to tell. I'll try another brand at next oil change and we'll see . . .

Mark in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back