Is it even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda makes a GN4 5w-30 oil. Is it possible to have such a light oil that would work in a bike with a wet clutch? I want to use this stuff this winter when i ride at 20f and warmer. Has anyone used this stuff?

honda doesn't make ANY oil, it is relabled someone elses. at one time, mobil had the contract for the "honda" line. same goes for torco and the "yamalube" (yamaha) line.

if you are worried about it, run it for 1000 miles and take a sample and have it analyzed. that will tell you the info you want.

what bike?

The Honda GN4 oil is for their lawn equipment and generators. I've used 10w40 GN4 in a bike once and was not impressed. In fact, a few years back Motorcycle Consumer News did a non biased studt of bike oils and found Castrol GTX to resist shearing down better.

Yeah, i know Honda does not make oil. But i'll bet is is the old SH car oil of Mobil or Castrol(which contain more Phos, Zinc, ect.) than the new SM oils. The guy behind the counter said it is Honda oil, so i couild use it in my bike. But, what do they know. It just seems too thin to me.

I have used M1 5W30 and 10W30 oil in an air/oil cooled Suzuki and it worked well for me. Faster rev's, and clutch operation was good. This was in a drag bike, for my street bikes I like 40 weight oils better.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Honda makes a GN4 5w-30 oil. Is it possible to have such a light oil that would work in a bike with a wet clutch? I want to use this stuff this winter when i ride at 20f and warmer. Has anyone used this stuff?

I have been using Redline 5W30 for the past few months in my R1. No problems whatsoever. I will definately use it again.

There are regular petro car oils out there that put Honda GN4 to shame...I can't believe the price they charge for that oil after the tests I've seen and VOA's we've seen on this website that show that many car oils have more antiwear additives.

If you're going to use a petro oil, you might as well save some money and get you some Castrol GTX.

The educated consumer will give MC specific oil marketers serious problems...

If it is blended by Apollo America why does it say ExxonMobil on the bottles?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back