Suzuki V-Strom 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2005 Suzuki V-Strom Saturday. I have to say I love this bike. Anyone else here have one? It says do the first oil change at 600 miles. I was thinking of using Rotella 15-40 and hopefully NAPA has some motorcycle filters. Any other ideas out there? Anyone have suggestions for a tank bag or any other accesories? I looked up Strom, its German for "large river" or "current" like electricity. What kind of name is that for a bike?

Check out http://vstrom.info. I've been lurking there 'cuz I've got the hots to get a bike (again). Just a quick glance says their people have no problems with Rotella 5-40 synthetic. Didn't check further regarding 15-40 dino, gotta run. Good luck. They seem to be a good site.

Rotella 15w40 is considered a very good motorcycle oil.

I ride an 03 Triumph Sprint ST. I kind of dig those V-Stroms, they've got a ton of character. I view them as a BMW GS that has all of that great Japanese reliability and affordability. I'd have one of those before a bmw (and I'm a bmw car-guy).

You're not one of those BMW GS type wacko's that rides long distances in everything from desert to snow are you? Give them heated grips and a vest, and they'll ride through a blizzard. They're a breed apart!

Enjoy your bike and ride safe. Here's a great link on motorcycle oils for you:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

If you navigate through this website, you'll find some excellent links!

Also....check out the oil filter cross reference...great resource for motorcycle filters.

Jim

I'm not one of those crazies that ride in the snow. When I lived in Germany they rode year round, sleet, ice it didn't matter. I've only had it a couple weeks so far and I really like it. I bought the bike it replaced 12 years ago (Yamaha Radian). I always looked for a replacement but never found anything I liked better until I set on the V-Strom. Very comfortable bike that can do about anything. I just hope it proves to be as reliable as that old Yamaha. I bought some Rotella synthetic 5W-40 for my first change with a STP filter.

congrats on the new bike! Those motors are as solid as it gets, no worries.

Tank bag? magnetic, ride around to different bike shops and bring some out to set on your tank to see how they lay, some tanks are odd shaped and just don't fit bags good. Turn the bars side to side and see if the bag interfers too much, might want to choose a smaller if it does. On my zr7s I ended using a smaller bag that was marketed as a cruiser bag, it just fit the tank better, my other bags were too big and i was always honking the horn at full lock steer. I ebay'd the last one from a guy who seems hooked up with nelson-riggs, excellent bag, very fair price. Might check him out once you figure out what size you need?

For anyone who has rode a V-Strom 650, do you hear a whinning noise while the cluth is engaged? When I pull the clutch lever in it stops. I would would describe it as gear whine, but should I be hearing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back