A close call

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there I am, happily riding my ZX-11 along the interstate at a "refreshing," but not unreasonable pace. I notice to my displeasure that my oil pressure light begins to illuminate intermittently. Not wanting to do any harm, I pull over as soon as I safely can. I get off my bike and notice to my horror that oil is pouring out of the bottom of the motor! Long story short, the oil pan drain plug had come off, and I blew my oil over something like two miles of interstate. I was also alarmed to see oil all over the rear tire! I consider myself extremely fortunate that I did not crash. On a less serious side, the oil I blew all over the road was $7.50/qt Delvac 1 I put in earlier that day. It was good to know that I had some good stuff in there to protect the motor in that situtation. I was able to get a new plug and get some good oil in it, the bike now seems fine.
Anyone else ever get oil on their tires and live to tell about it?

hate it when that happens,LOL glad to hear you kept the shiny side up!

Foot had a funny warm feeling, got stopped and layed it on its side (as not to lose any more), made a temp plug out of some retread tire scraps I found and limped to town for more oil. I was suprised it only took about 1/2 a qt. Probably went 100 more miles before I was able to find a metric bolt to fit the drain hole.

A different bike (vx800 shaftdrive) would do a weird thing and blow it's rear hypoid oil out the vent. Made a stinky oily mess of the tire and oiled the softbags. Only happened going over high alt passes which was somewhat of a mystery.

Yes, this same thing happened with my Nighthawk Cruising at 45mph on 8 Mile Road, oil light flickers and I try to stop, rear wheel squirrely all over the lane, get it stopped without crashing, oil plug gone, stuff in rubber bike tube material and cheap oil from close gas station to get home, made me religious about torque specs on my bolts, bought torque wrenches.

Same thing happened to me but my problem was caused by a cracked aluminum oil pan. Don't know how that happened but luckily I caught it before it killed me or my engine.

My counter shaft seal started puking oil all over the road. Didn't notice till I went out at lunch time and saw a hugh puddle under the bike, then noticed the oil trail where I been leaking all the way from home. Bike felt a little squirelly but wasn't bad on the slow commute to work.

KiLler250

Bought a brand new klr 250. Stopped on the way home and noticed a little puddle of oil underneath. The dealership had not tightened the drain screw and it had backed out several threads. I never had any luck with after sales service from those losers and they were out of business less than a couple years later.

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:

Anyone else ever get oil on their tires and live to tell about it?

I had a connecting rod go through the bottom of the engine when I going about 70mph down a country road.

Fortunately I was on a straight section and not leaned over like I was 5 seconds earlier.
shocked.gif

In a way, the oil on the rear tire was good, since the con rod also punched a hole in the transmission which locked up thanks to all the metal bits going in it.

I once was putting on a rear ax back on my a/h-d sx 175 and got some lithium grease on my rear tire. I just rode it, and all was good. Not the same as losing a qt. of oil on a rear tire though.

thats why I always safety wire the oil bolt, filler, and radiator cap at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back