Tried 75-140 in the trans today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to changing the trans fluid on my BMW airhead. There was a dicussion recently regarding dedicated trans oil.

It was recommended to try a 75 140 synthetic so I used some Amsoil.

I think I have to give it some time but my first ride with it today, about 25 miles, it felt sluggish. We'll see what it does to the mileage over time

I rode my K1100 this winter down in the teens and the shifting seemed normal with Amsoil 75w140 in the trans and rear.
I think I MUST test it out again today just to be sure! Probably about 100 miles ought to do it.

Went for a longer ride. It definately feels slower compared to the 80-90 dino I had in there. It feels less responsive.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
Went for a longer ride. It definately feels slower compared to the 80-90 dino I had in there. It feels less responsive.

I have trouble believing it truly made the motor sluggish....any other changes?

darrell
sin city

No other changes, just the trans oil at that time. The bike normally feels much "snappier" if that makes sense, it also normally pulls pretty good without downshifting. Now it feels slower.

I have been using the Amsoil series 2000 75W90 in my HD tranny. I tried the 75W140 for a while last year and could not tell any difference, in shifting or felt power. I'm back on the 75W90 now and will try the new 20W50 next change.

I bought some stuff from Specialty Formulations that's working great in my airhead tranny. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back