Oil and Filter for 2005 Suzuki SV650s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright folks, go easy on me, I'm totally uneducated about motorcycles.

What oil and filter would you folks recommend for this particular motorcycle?

What service interval would you recommend once wear-in is complete?

I was thinking about using Amsoil MFC 10w-40 Motorcycle oil.

Michael

Very fun bike. This is what i want next, but i just got my 02 750 Honda 2 years ago. I use Amsoil 10w-40 and i would use it in your bike after 1000 miles. That is when i changed to syn.

here it goes if you havent been on SVrider.com yet go there. I used Shell Rotella 15w-40 in mine and the bike loved it. I would definitly recomend it and its cheap so you can change it often and keep your engine clean. as for a filter i used the factory suzuki oil filters.

I found the oil to be the cheapest at walmart and btw it is a diesel oil but it has no friction modifiers that would harm the motorcycles wet clutch.

I agree with JonS.

Amsoil, K&N, and Purolater Pure are top filters. There is a lot of info on filters if you have time to search via google. Fram seems to be the least liked.

As it is an air-cooled bike I would be partial to runnin g a synthetic oil such as Delvac l or Rotella T synthetic. The synthetic Rotella has a very large and growing following in motorcycle-dom (I use it) and it is cheaply sourced at Walmart in America. Nothing wrong at all with regular Rotella (have used it) but AC'ed machines can run higher overall temperatures and beat up the oil to a greater extent than LC'ed machines. Amsoil sells good bike oil but I cannot justify the expense of it given the good performance and value of HDEO's such as I've mentioned. Delo is well-liked, too. Just use the correct viscosity for your expected operating conditions and don't run too long between changes.

As for a filter, check to see what automotive application corresponds. I am not sure if your bike can use the Fram 7317 size filter like mine does. That forum mentioned above will likely tell you. And I mention Fram ONLY as it pertains to sizing. Steer clear of those. The Pure One and Mobil 1 filters have excellent bike reputations. As well, Baldwin and Wix filters are wonderful for bikes.

I may get an SV650s next summer for my wife. They seem like a great machine. Might go for the DL though, but still in the 650 version...

John.

quote:

Originally posted by Reg# 43897:

I may get an SV650s next summer for my wife. They seem like a great machine. Might go for the DL though, but still in the 650 version...

John.

I have the DL650 and love it! The SV and DL650 are both liquid cooled btw.
I use Mobil 1 15W-50 EP and the bike seems to like it.....so far.

Oops - I stand corrected on the cooling. How stunned am I? I knew that and promptly forgot all about it.

I'll go away now...

John.

I'm currently sponsoring a Road Racer in the WERA series. He rides an SV650 and is using the New Amsoil MCF. Before he changed he used to get several missed shifts per race.

Last race no missed shifts.

I'll let you know how the oil held up after the season is over.

He's also running an Amsoil SMF 109 filter. 100% more capacity and 20% finer particle filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back