Sportster Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using it in the tranny on my '94 Low Rider. Quieter shifting than with the HD semi-syn stuff.

I think the M1 75W90 is the way to go as far as gears oils go...

Dan

What!! HD owners not using HD oils, shame on you. LOL

Don't you know the hog will self-destruct if you use anything else? LOL

I know a older gent that will drive 125 miles to the HD dealer to have them change his oil just like the manual says to. He won'tr do it himself, never does his own OC's.

honus402,I,ve been considering changing to M1 75W-90 myself.Keep us posted on how things go.I,m running M1 20-50 v-twin in my Sportsters primary now with good results. Lathe Man

My son rides a Buell Thunderbolt. It has almost the same tranny as a Sportster. He has been running Mobil 1 75W-90 for several years now with no problems. The Harley/Buell dealership told him they were suprised it has lasted that long not using the Sport-trans fluid. I guess Harley Davidson fluids have some type of mysterious properties that the rest of the engineering world doesn't understand. What a crock of #%@*.

some one said that sport trans is actualy closer to hydraulic oil
and the sport trans bottle says it is not compatible with other oil
I'm running ams 20w50 oil in the trans right now, I ran redline 75-90 for a while to.
any one try filtering there trans oil and putting it back in?

Just put another two hundred miles on the M1 75W-90 today. Temp was in the mid-nineties and the shifting remained silky smooth. I also noticed that the primary Chain "backlash" I had with HD Sport Trans has gone away with the Mobil 1.

was using the amsoil 20-50 in the tranny of my 2000'xlh 1200. stage 1 kit. when i changed the tranny fluid, while quite clean, the magnetic trans plug was very "furry". i use the amsoil in the engine, but had bought some valvoline syn-power 75-90 tranny fluid to try out. much smoother shifting, less clunky and notchy. not sure if it was the brand thing, or just switching to a dedicated trans fluid that did it. i think one oil for all 3 holes on the big twins and the 2 holes in the sportsters is mainly for convienece, not the absoulute best choice. seeing the mobil 1 gear oil as being a favorite here, many others seem to agree. the difference is drastic, the the amsoil wasn't in there long either. i usualy do the tranny fluid at the begining of each riding season, and don't put a lot of miles or stress on the bike.

I'll go for the dedicated lube theory, and the fact viscosity is more stable on the syns. The way I look at it, the trans probably would like a 140w gear lube but the primary chain needs something a lot lighter. 75W-90 is in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back