motorcycle engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
i just bought a 01 kawi ninja 500r,
when every i buy a used car , i usualy put 10% mineral spirits the engine and let it idle for 10mins, then i drain the oil.
put fresh stuff in idle it again for 10 mins, and change the oil and filter one last time.

because this is a wet clutch bike, can i flush the engine, or will i destroy the clutch.

I will only be flushing it during idle, not under load.

i plan to use 20-50 for the flushing so it does not thin too much, and 15-40 during normal use ?

thanks
nik

nik, you could do it and it probably wouldn't hurt a thing. Wouldn't think it would be necessary at all though. A bike as new 01 has most likely seen nothing but detergent oil and probably has seen a few oil changes. More important and because it's used and new to I'd want to check the valve clearances. When you have the cover off you'll see how squeeky clean it actually is in there (or not). Can't say I've ever had need to flush a bike engine they don't seem to ever need it.

If you're that concerned, do a few short interval oil changes with a good oil. Perhaps one of the HDEO's(Rotella, Delvac, Etc), they should do a good job of cleaning anything in there to be concerned about.

IF you're worried about contaminent buildup inside your engine, you could try Cycle-Rx for a slow safe cleaning of any carbon deposits, sludge, and or varnish. It has a money back guarantee and the company owner 'Frank Miller' is a BITOG site supporter.

http://www.cycle-rx.com/

thanks
for the info, im new to bike engines ..
smile.gif

nik

IMO I think most oils do a very good job of cleaning so running flush out type products I don't see a real need with a bike that had normal oil changes and the chemicals might actually create a leak. But if I were going to use an oil to flush 20w50 wouldn't be my 1st choice , a thinner high detergent oil would like a 5w40.

If you can do it I would drop the oilpan and clean it. If Kawasaki prices like Suzuki the gasket will only cost you 5 bucks. Add a couple other gaskets to the price if you have to pull the exhaust.

You will get a good idea of how dirty you engine is when adjusting your valves.

Steve

Ah, I guess I shouldn't be calling it a pan. On my Suzukis it is a flat piece of aluminum with fins. It's on the bottom where a car would have an oilpan.
tongue.gif

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back