Looking for quality 20w-50 'dyno' oil for Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post, so I would first like to say hello to everbody here.

I have a bit of a delima. I own an 04 Harley Sportster 1200 with lots of internal engine mods. I really should be using 20w-50 or at least 15w-50 in the motor. I live in Arizona and really need the thicker oil + Harley recommends 20w-50 anyway.

Since they stopped making 15w-50 Mobil "red cap", I have decided not to use the [even more expensive] new type Mobil 1.

I think dyno oil would be fine. I will just change the oil more often. I would use Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella T diesel oil in the bike, but it is only avail in the thinner 15W-40.

Any suggestions for a good quality 15w-50 or 20w-50 oil?

I can buy 20w-50 Valvoline Racing 'VR1' oil at AutoZone for $2.10 per qt ... And then there is regular 20w-50 Pennzoil now on sale for $7.87 at Walmart (5 qt jug)

I am open to any recommendations
smile.gif

Thanks,
Ron

-

[ May 05, 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Turbota ]

Very nice bike!

You came to the right place.
smile.gif

I've already been down that exact same road. I decided to get away from the Mobil 1 when they raised the price and didn't increase the quality for my purposes.

Running extended drains in any motorcycle is like playing Russian Roulette--sooner or later you're gonna regret it. Issues of fuel dilution and other contamination of the oil make it quite prudent to swap the oil out every 2500 miles--3000 at the very most. In hard riding conditions (lots of cold weather starts or lots of very hot weather riding) I'll change it at 2000 miles.

Synthetics are a waste of money if you plan on changing the oil often--and as I mentioned, I believe you should be changing it often. You might get away with two, three, four, or even five extended OCI's with synthetics, but let a carb get a little out of adjustment, a plug start to foul some--or any number of other things and you just might run that Amsoil heavily compromised for way, way, way too long.

Change the oil sooner, not later.
wink.gif

Oh yeah. Havoline 20W50 dino is the stuff. Better viscosity than Pennzoil 20W50. Better numbers all the way around, actually. Havoline rocks.

Here's a thread I put up on another forum, after researching this matter till I was blue in the face and numb in the fingers...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Cuttin' through the motor oil BS...

Again, Havoline 20W50 should be all you'll need. It'll be SL rated for quite some time according to the Havoline tech I spoke to--so that means it'll have enough zinc and phos to do the job.

Dan

Dan ...

Thanks for the info. What do you think about Aero Shell 100 in a motorcycle. I believe it's an "ashless" oil.

Ron,

IIRC the Aviation oils are not good for "ground vehicle" engines. Do a forum search here and you'll likely find out more. I believe that certain anti-wear elements, zinc (I think) in particular, are left out of aviation oils due to the possibility that these elements might foul a sparkplug, and of course a fouled plug at 9000 feet can be a BIG problem.
smile.gif

Dan

Dan ...

Thanks for the heads-up on the Aero Shell. I kinda figured it may not be suitable for ground vehicle use.

A guy over on the XLForum message board posted this recommendation for Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil which is avail in both 20w-50 and 10w-40

Per Valvoline's web site: Available at Auto Zone, Meijer, Murray's, Blains, Checker, Schuck's and Kragen.

Here is the product description on the Valvoline web site:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=76

I personally have not seen this oil in AutoZone, etc ... And I have no idea if it's priced fairly cheaply or not.

And a BIG hello to "Patman".
smile.gif

Ron, ("Tin Indian" on LS1Tech and LS1.Com)

Ex-owner - modified 98 TA

quote:

Originally posted by Turbota:
Since they stopped making 15w-50 Mobil "red cap", I have decided not to use the [even more expensive] new type Mobil 1.

Thanks,
Ron

Man that's a super awesome looking bike. I don't understand why you don't want to stick with synthetic?

Even changing more often with a dino will not give you the high temp protection available with a synthetic.

IMO, I would use a syn and go longer if money is the object before I would use a dino and change more often.

For Instance the new Amsoil product is rated at twice the recommended interval. Heck even the Mobil 1 V-twin or the Rev Tech synthetic would be a better choice than running rotella.

Amsoil/RL/Mobil1 all make top nothc MC oils. I'd go to Advanced Auto and use the M1. Is as good as anything Amsoil has.

Dan ...

Well, it's obvious I can't spell "Dino"
smile.gif

Anyway, I went and bought 3 qts. of that Valvoline 20w-50 Motorcycle oil and a standard Harley-Davidson oil filter. The oil cost was $3.09 per qt from AutoZone. I will see how that oil works out. If not, the Havoline will be next.

Valvoline's product info stated that this oil contains:

Zinc: .12%
Phosphorus: .11%
Calcium: .23%
Sulfated Ash: .70%
Flash COC: 230 c.
Total Base No: 7.9

Meets or exceeds JASO MA

Anyway, here are the rest of the specs: http://www.valvoline.com/products/4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil.pdf

I think if I change this oil every 2,000 miles, it should protect the motor every bit as good as the 15w-50 Mobil 1 that I used to use.

04 XL 1222R
NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Forged Pistons / RB Racing 'LSR' 2-1 Exhaust
Red Shift 567 Cams / Pingel Main Fuel Valve / SE 7000 Rev Limit Ignition Module / 1200-S Rear Shocks

Thanks everybody for all the info.

I guess ol' Patman don't come in here much anymore?

Patman and myself used to post to the LS1.Com message board way back when it started in 98. He may have joined in 99.

(aluminum Camaro / Corvette / Pont Firebird LS1 motor)

Hey Turbota!

Finally somebody from XL Forum followed one of my links to BITOG? Anyway, go to Rebates, Sales and Promotions. You'll find Tenderloin still has Pep Boys Calendars. It has coupons for buy 3 get 3 free Mobil 1. Mobil 1 for half price! I have enough coupons for 42 quarts. That should last me awhile. FIY, I used Harley oil in my bagger for the first 100,000 miles. OCI at 2000-2500 miles. Then switched to Mobil 1. Since the rebuild at 146,000 I'm only using Mobil 1. I plan on OCI of about 3,300 miles. When I hit my next 150,000 miles, I'll let you know which oil gave the best results!

blueglide ...

Thanks for the heads-up on that Mobil 1 oil deal.

BTW, I got the PM you sent me on the XLForum. Thanks again.

Ron,

[ May 07, 2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Turbota ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back