Can't decide on an oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm new here. I just bought a 2001 Yamaha FZ-1 with only 3500 miles on it. I bought it from a very respectable/responsible person and it is a very clean and well cared for machine. Now that I've taken possession of it I'm about to give it an oil change but can't decide on what kind of oil to put in it. I've searched the old threads on this forum back a few years and can't seem to find a thread that relates exactly to my concerns so I decided to start a new one.

The concerns I have are:

1. Does this motor have enough miles on it to put synthetic into it and if it does, what viscocity should I use? (I'm concerned about getting a decent and proper break-in)

2. If I was to stick with dino for a few more thousand miles, what brand of oil and what viscosity shoud I use?

3. If it isn't quite ready for full synthetic is semi-synthetic okay or should I stay with straight dino?

Here are my choices for all three concerns. If I go full synthetic I'm leaning towards Amsoil 10W-40 since it's very readily available where I live and seems to have gotten mostly good reviews. If I go dino I'm leaning towards Yamalube4 20W-40. I am concerned about 20W-40 because I live in Edmonton, Canada where it often can be 50F or slightly cooler in the morning even in prime riding season. Then on the other hand, on warmer days the temperature can also rise in mid afternoon to 90F or so. If I go semi-syn I'm leaning towards Motul 5100 10W-40 since it too is very readily available and also seems to get good praise.

I really hope someone can help me out here. I want to start off on the right foot with this bike beginning with choosing the proper motor oil for my mileage/climate.

Thank You.

[ May 02, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: hertzy ]

That Yamalube 20W40 has a good reputation. You couldn't go wrong there I wouldn't think.

While it's not too early for a synthetic, I've come to the well studied opinion that synthetics are really not necessary in 999 out of 1000 instances. And if you're gambling on that tenth of one percent, odds are something else will kill your motor before want of synthetic oil does.
wink.gif
smile.gif

I would run Shell Rotella 15W40 truck oil. Gobs of zinc and phosphorous, no moly for instances (if there truly are any) where that may be an issue. And Rotella dino is easy to find and not so expensive.

You've gotta go with long drain intervals to justify the expense of the synthetic. Where motorcycles are concerned--especially when they're used in colder climates--issues of oil contamination from fuel dilution and such would make me leery of running more than 2500 to 3000 miles before swapping out the oil. Rotella will allow 3K OCI's at a modest expense, and provide your engine with great protection all the while.

Dan

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
[QB] That Yamalube 20W40 has a good reputation. You couldn't go wrong there I wouldn't think.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards the Yamalube 20W40 for now. I'll just have to be careful not to start it if it's too cool in the morning. Are there any other Canadians or colder weather States riders out there? If so, what dino oil do you use on a bike with only 3500 miles?

Originally posted by Pablo:
[QB] At 3000 miles the engine is broken in.

Yes, this is a good oil Amsoil AMF 10W-40

I've heard nothing but good things about Amsoil synthetic. I will use it but I'm going to wait until I clock about 5000 or 6000 miles.

Is there any good 10W40 cycle dino oil out there to tie me over until I get enough miles on the bike to feel comfortable about putting synthietic in it?

Castrol ACTEVO 10W-40 is JASO MA and usually sells for $2.99 US after rebate around here. They used to advertise this as a "semi-synthetic".

Valvolene's MC-specific 10W-40 is JASO MA rated and I can occasionally find it for $1.79 per quart on sale. It is in my Valkyrie Interstate as we speak, awaiting the odo to hit the 5K mile mark. One more dino interval is planned with... 10W-40 ACTEVO!
burnout.gif

Either of these two s/b perfect for a 3K (MILE) or so OCI.

I use Amsoil AMO 10W-40 in the ZX-11 and will probably go to it for the Valkyrie at 8K with 4K intervals. Maybe the AME 15W-40 product for both?

Anyway, CHEERS!
cheers.gif

Hertzy, like you, I bought an FZ1, used, with 1800 miles on it and stayed with dino (Yamalube 20w-40)until 5000 miles when I changed to Amsoil 10w-40. After using the Yamalube I didn't think it was anything special nor worth the price. I'd use Shell Rotella 15w-40 for another 1500-2000 miles then change to Amsoil. The bike definitely shifted better with the change to Amsoil and that's what I'm running now.

My FJR had the Yamalube 20w-40 in it when I bought it off my cousin last summer. It worked just fine and started up well - no problems. I changed it out almost immediately regardless for Rotella T 15w-40. Once I had run about 4,000 kilometres on that I got some RTS 5w-40 when I was in the States. That's in it now and it really works well.

I am wondering about Esso XD-3 0w-40 as a possibility for us in Canada. The stuff is tough as nails and of the highest quality. I know of nobody using it right now and I am tempted to put it into my older SRX-600 for a spell... I would rather test it out on the SRX's clutch versus my FJR's clutch..!

Still haven't made up my mind.

John.

If your of the belief that motors won't break-in on synthetic (a debateable subject IMO), then I'd consider pushing it out to at least 10k. Unless the bike has been ridden real hard the 1st 3500 miles. It's real hard to ride these 1000cc sportbikes hard enough to completely seat the rings and still be alive, or still have a license. All bike are different but many now use a hard nicasil like cylinder coating and also use a hard ring. It take a lot of pressure and/or time to mate them up completly. This kind of pressure results in insane speed and acceleration on the big bikes, so usually more time (miles) is needed. Machining tolerances on most these motors are so good that break-in is not really needed, small oil consumption is very common and usually stops after some good hard miles are put on them. 10-12k is common from what I've seen, no matter what oil was in them. The rx1 yamaha snowmachine engine is based on the same engine you have. Guys I know poured alot of oil in them the 1st season of riding, by the second year consumption settled down. And they were run hard enough you'd think they'd broke in fast.

I've tried several different synthetics in my VTR 1000, but I liked the Amsoil 10W-40 the best. I think this would be fine in your bike year round as well. Right now I am running Maxima Ultra 5W-40 and don't really care for it much as it's starting to get very notchy or clunky in the transmission. I think I'm gonna try the Maxima Extra 10W-40 next to see if it's any better. I think 3500 miles is fine to switch over to synthetics, and I think if you can get Amsoil easy enough then go with that.

20w40 in Edmonton...not for me, maybe for June July but thats about it . 10w40 is the way to go all year long aka 5 months !!

The Amsoil 10W40 sure seems to work well in my VFR 800 and my brother's Bandit 1200. Shifting is nice and smooth and the clutch holds well on the Bandit. (Bandits have weak clutches). At 3500 miles I'd change it over to whatever brand you like and press on. If you can get the Amsoil in your area, that would be my first choice.

I think I'm leaning towards the Yamalube 20W40 for now. I'll just have to be careful not to start it if it's too cool in the morning.+++++++++++

Yamaha has 5w50, that would cure the cold start issue. Avoiding starting the bike due to the oil in cold seems a little bizarre

**** those seem like some very heavy oils to me. I have a 2000 R1...very similar motor to your bike. I tried alot of full synthetics & my faves are Motul 300v sport...kinda expensive, Redline 5w30...a little cheaper, but good, Mobil 1 MXT4, Good stuff & cheapest of the 3.
I usually use 5w30 in the spring & 10w40 in the summer. I live in Michigan & Im sure our weather is very similar to yours.

Good luck with your new bike.

I pick up Amsoil 10-40 MC oil for $4.99/qrt. And i do early morning starts in temps of 20f. With what most people think is cold for riding is under 60f. I would feel good with a 20w-40 in temps above 50f. I'll bet the Yama-lube is as expensive and the Amsoil.

I used to use Yamalube 20W-40 in my FZR600. I would ride it in the high-40s (F) as long as it was sunny out. The bike would start fine as long as the battery was good. Just needed a few extra minutes to let the engine warm up.

After the price of Yamalube went above $3/qt, I switched to Shell Rotella T 15W-40 without any issues.

quote:

Originally posted by hertzy:
Okay, I'm new here. I just bought a 2001 Yamaha FZ-1 with only 3500 miles on it. I bought it from a very respectable/responsible person and it is a very clean and well cared for machine. Now that I've taken possession of it I'm about to give it an oil change but can't decide on what kind of oil to put in it. I've searched the old threads on this forum back a few years and can't seem to find a thread that relates exactly to my concerns so I decided to start a new one.

The concerns I have are:

1. Does this motor have enough miles on it to put synthetic into it and if it does, what viscocity should I use? (I'm concerned about getting a decent and proper break-in)

2. If I was to stick with dino for a few more thousand miles, what brand of oil and what viscosity shoud I use?

3. If it isn't quite ready for full synthetic is semi-synthetic okay or should I stay with straight dino?

Here are my choices for all three concerns. If I go full synthetic I'm leaning towards Amsoil 10W-40 since it's very readily available where I live and seems to have gotten mostly good reviews. If I go dino I'm leaning towards Yamalube4 20W-40. I am concerned about 20W-40 because I live in Edmonton, Canada where it often can be 50F or slightly cooler in the morning even in prime riding season. Then on the other hand, on warmer days the temperature can also rise in mid afternoon to 90F or so. If I go semi-syn I'm leaning towards Motul 5100 10W-40 since it too is very readily available and also seems to get good praise.

I really hope someone can help me out here. I want to start off on the right foot with this bike beginning with choosing the proper motor oil for my mileage/climate.

Thank You.

I ran Mobil 1 Delvac 15W40 Dino in a 2002 Honda Goldwing for 31,500 miles. Finally sent the oil off for an analysis at 5,000 mile oil change interval. Oil package TBN held up well but the wear metals like iron, copper, alum, were high. Although the bike ran and shifted fine it appears the viscosity was to thick for this 1832 CC engine. The labs recommendation was to switch to a synthetic oil that shows less resistance to shearing out of grade in wet clutch motorcycles.

I switched to Mobil 1 5W40 Synthetic Truck and SUV Oil. I buy it a Wally World in a 5 Quart jug for 19.95. The oil does not have the Star Burst Label. Doesn't contain loads of molly. The bike shifts and idles much smoother. At 5,000 miles I'll be sending off another sample to see if the wear metals have dropped off.

If I were to purchase another new bike I would switch to synthetic after the first oil change. I think a really heavy weight oil is too thick for new water cooled higher reving bikes.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! You guys are awesome! I've decided to go with a good dino for a few thousand more miles. I'll check out as many of the recommendations that you all have given me as possible. Then if I can get Amsoil 10W40 synthetic cycle oil for a decent price, I'll go with it otherwise I may try one of the diesel synthetics many of you have recommended. You all have been a BIG help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back