Dedicated Trans oil 80-90??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people running in their bikes for transoil?

I have a BMW airhead, and these are not known for great transmission longevity. Bike calls for a GL5 80-90. Only holds 800cc's.

I want something that gives MAX protection for the gears, bearings and the synchros.

I also have an airhead. As of now, I'm running Schaeffers #267 in the tranny primarily because of its moly. The output shaft ball bearing in this tranny is prone to axial load induced failure. My hope is the moly provides a "last defense" against ball spalling.

I've also considered Redline shock proof heavy. It also has moly and is very thick. Many oilhead guys recommend redline and it really clings to the gears.

I don't know which is better.

Amsoil 75w140 I used in my R1100r Oil head transmission. It seems to improve shifting especially during High Temp operation.

Might help yours as well.

I read on a BMW forum last year that many folks are using 75w140 in the transmission & final drive. Some were high mileage bikes. I put Amsoil 75w140 in my K1100 last year.

I would imagine there would be some loss in economy, but I haven't noticed any significant change. Some days I ride hard, others I don't so tracking fuel economy for me is a waste of time.

Its not a waste of time when you travel like I do.

Especially since most of my riding buds have better range than I do. So I'm not trying to lose economy.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
Would I lose any fuel economy going to a 140?

I only used the 75w140 in the trans, but stayed with the 75w90 in the rear.

Couple of things. the synthetic vs conventional 80w90 should keep the fuel economy pretty close. Secondly, the 75w140 could potentially give better economy if your running in cooler temps. (Remember is't 75 not the 80 like your running now) The only thing is that it does not "thin out" as much as the 80w90 in high temps. This is the reason the shifting stays more consistant.

The problem I was having is that the BMW shifted great when it was cold, or you were just starting out. But after a few miles the trans oil would heat up and it "clunk" pretty bad. With the 140 I had less clunk.

On the fuel economy, I don't remember losing any after switching. I usually averaged around 47-49 when I lived in El Paso.

In viringia beach it averaged around 43. which had to do more with elevation than anything.

I just switched to a modified HDS-R from SF. This stuff is working great in my BMW. Phil was nice enough to modify his formula into what I think is the ultimate BMW transmission lube. I don't know what he did but it smells, looks, and feels like a synthetic GL5 without the clunky shifting I got from every other GL5 I've used.

I'm using his HDS-5 in the final drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back