Royal Purple,Mobile 1, and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Royal Purple,Mobile 1,Amsoil which is the better ones to go with? I read on these past couple weeks and today noticed the synerc that royal purple uses for additive was also used in either mobile 1 or amsoil forgot which and now today its not on there sights and was few days ago,not to mention amsoil added another line of there motorcycle oil with more additives or better additives. Which is the better ones and worst ones of these 3,but like to narrow it down cause not enough independent info out there from consumers on bike use.

I can get 20w50 locally but 9.00 a quart,can't get amsoil locally(was 6.00 and now 8.00 on the new stuff). I bought mobil 1 mx4t already but not tried it and may take it back to try royal purple instead(but locally 20w50 is all available unless I order 10w40).

Now for my use I have a Kawasaki vulcan drifter 800 with about 8,500 miles on it and I am the third owner. I am a member of a drifter forum and nobody there has tried royal purple or amsoil, and one guy is using mobil 1 right now so not any info available there. I do know most use 10w40 oil and some use 20w50 but few of them. My bike from the manual calls for 10w40-20w50.

My other question also is which is better to use 10w40 or 20w50? I know the 20w50 seems to be more for harley bikes and non liquid cooled bikes(air cooled). Seems most recommend 10w40 for import bikes as well as any liquid cooled bikes. So what does better 10w40 or 20w 50? I can see using 20w50 in summer but then start ups be taking evan longer to warm up right? Kawasaki's already are a cold natured bike starting up. I can see crotch rockets (sport bikes,lol) using 10w40 and lighter but doubt heavier,but for most modern day v twin liquid cooled and air cooled bikes whats best 20w50 or 10w40? I would think 20w50 would have slower breakdown then 10w40. breakdown. Either way I want to go with synthetic which i never used it in anything and no of coarse they last longer slower breakdown anyway then conventional oil. Thanks for your input and experiences.

[ April 25, 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: bravo2 ]

I have a 99 vulcan 800 classic. Its the same engine as your drifter. I have been useing amsoil 20w50 or 10w40 will work, I've used both with no problems. I also use Amsoil's smf-103 filter. I've been useing it since 2000. I haven't used the new formula yet. Probably next year. I think its the best value. I get it from amoils web site.

I'm not real familiar with MC oils but I do have to say that Mobil 1 MC has some very good specs.

You may need to get a used oil analysis from Blackstone or another company, for each brand of oil to get an idea of how they perform in your engine. If you do decide to use synthetic, you might try the extended drain interval suggested by the syn's mfr. Every engine is different, with regard to wear metals, etc.

pajim17057, How often you do oil changes with amsoil? What did you think between 10w40 and 20w50 as far as performance in your bike and anything you noticed in differences? Price gone up about 2.00 on the new oil version which matches the market price on the other two brands in price now.

[ April 25, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: bravo2 ]

Either Mobil 1 or Amsoil would be a good choice. Their motorcycle oils are formulated differently than their car oils with the demands of motorcycles in mind. Royal Purple may be a fine oil but its formulated with cars in mind. Personally, I would use Amsoil car oil before I used Royal Purple. And Royal Purple's synerlec is not used in either Amsoil or Mobil 1. I think you're confusing it with Mobil's supersyn.

[ April 26, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: DNS ]

I believe the "benchmark" for the new Amsoil MC oils specifically were the Mobil 1, 10w-40/20w-50 motorcycle oils. Those look to be the best two brands of MC oils at this time. In fact the quality of the Mobil 1 products was probably what drove Amsoil to reformulate their original MC oils....

The Motul 300V is also excellent and should be for $10.00+ per quart ....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I believe the "benchmark" for the new Amsoil MC oils specifically were the Mobil 1, 10w-40/20w-50 motorcycle oils. In fact the quality of the Mobil 1 products was probably what drove Amsoil to reformulate their original MC oils....
TS

The Mobil used in the Amsoil comparison was not the bottle found at the stores at the time of the March comparison but a reformulated Mobil 1 product coming out in their newer bottles. Amsoil and Mobil were both working on their newer formulas for some time now and Amsoil didn't have access to the new Mobil 1 MC oil until recently. That is why they held off until 4/1 to introduce their MC oils because the testing didn't complete with the new mobil 1 product until mid March.

in my 2002 vn800B i use amsoil 10w40 Hp oil. I might try their New MC/ oil on my next oil change, as this time its not the same as the HP just labeled differently. In my opinion I noticed my 800B runs cooler on the 10w40 rather than the thicker oil. i used mobil1 15w50 once. and my bikes fan kicked on alot more. then as soon as i went back to amsoil 10w40 the fan rarely ever kicked on. heres a pic of my 800B. its NOT up to date.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye

arkainzeye, My 800 drifter pic is on there as well its under bravo2. Let me know if you found it and seen it. Whats HP stand for?

quote:

Originally posted by bravo2:
pajim17057, How often you do oil changes with amsoil? What did you think between 10w40 and 20w50 as far as performance in your bike and anything you noticed in differences? Price gone up about 2.00 on the new oil version which matches the market price on the other two brands in price now.

I change the oil in it once a year. Its normaly 3-4000 miles. It seems to run a bit smoother. Its hard to tell. Its hard to tell if it is any cooler. The fan hasn't kicked on this year, but it hasn't been real hot yet. I will stick with the Amsoil 10w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back