Mobil 1 15-50 red cap vs. Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap vs. Mobil 1(Triumph) 15-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, can any one help me out on these three products? Are they the same? The red cap is gone as you know and I've used it in my bikes with good results. What if any is the change to the gold cap? And finally the Triumph motorcycle Mobil 1 15-50 is this just rebottled red cap?

Thanks for any and all help!

David

No one, to my knowledge, has been able to get Mobil to admit that the Triumph 4T oil is just rebadged red cap. However, Mobil did recently start putting "15W-50" on the 4T...

If you look in the VOAs you'll find that there are differences between the red cap of old and the new gold cap 15W-50s. I've heard of people using the new gold cap 15W-50 without any problems, but I'm still working my way through my stash of red cap gallon jugs.
smile.gif

Also, FWIW, a lot of motorcyclists are extremely happy with the Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic that can be had for $13/gal. at Wal-Mart. Its only a Group III synthetic, but its a heavy-duty oil that's very resistant to shearing, so it seems to hold up quite well againt the shearing forces present in motorcycle transmissions.

After my stash of 15W-50 runs out I'll probably give the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 a try. Its also a heavy duty oil, but its made from Group IV oils, so it should last even longer in my bike than the Rotella would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back