Pennzoil API SN Plus & 0W-16 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
NOACK values are necessary for an informed consumer to objectively assess the suitability of a lubricant for certain applications. It is clear that NOACK values are intrinsically not a proprietary value, given that at minimum, a "less than" value is invoked for certain specifications to be met, and other vendors clearly publicize the values in their product data sheets. It is well known that Pennzoil products offer superior NOACK values, based upon third party assessments. When can we expect to see reporting of actual NOACK values for all Pennzoil products, 0w-16 included?

Noack volatility numbers have been the only reason I began to use Pennzoil products, and with them no longer listed I am seeking other oils now. I know many others in the same camp. If a product is truly superior, would you not want to make it known to the informed consumer that is not affected by advertisement efforts?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
NOACK values are necessary for an informed consumer to objectively assess the suitability of a lubricant for certain applications. It is clear that NOACK values are intrinsically not a proprietary value, given that at minimum, a "less than" value is invoked for certain specifications to be met, and other vendors clearly publicize the values in their product data sheets. It is well known that Pennzoil products offer superior NOACK values, based upon third party assessments. When can we expect to see reporting of actual NOACK values for all Pennzoil products, 0w-16 included?

Noack volatility numbers have been the only reason I began to use Pennzoil products, and with them no longer listed I am seeking other oils now. I know many others in the same camp. If a product is truly superior, would you not want to make it known to the informed consumer that is not affected by advertisement efforts?

Another request for published NOACK values. As the owner of a TGDI vehicle, I need to know this information in order to choose a suitable oil.

1.) As an owner of several older cars I am always interested in backward compatibility of any new API rating. I think SN is backward compatible to about 1996 MY or so. Will SN Plus also be?

2.) What are your thoughts on using this new lower viscosity or any of your lower viscosity oils in older vehicles. These cars usually had a 10w-30 or 5w-30 requirement. Is there any advantage in using 0w-16 up to 0w-40? Disadvantages? (You may have noticed on this website there seems to be two camps, the low viscosity camp and the heavy viscosity camp. So I would like a little guidance.)

Thanks!

how soon are these new fangled formulations and specifications going to bleed over to the HDEO products in the Shell lineup? when this happens how will this affect the JASO MA/MA2 ratings carried by Rotella products? this affects motorcycles that have wet clutches that use this rating...

Is it safe to say that the newer developing technologies lie in increasingly thinner (<5W-30) motor oils? As such, does this place the U.S., with its CAFE requirements, at the leading edge of motor oil science by default?

With longer oil change intervals being used in today's vehicles, is there any concern of 0W-16 decreasing in viscosity due to extended use (especially with any added Direct Injection fuel dilution), and therefore possibly becoming too thin to provide adequate engine protection?

Is there any extra special focus in the formulation of 0W-16 to ensure viscosity stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back