Castrol Act-Evo bike oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,
I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I'm interested in opinions on the Castrol Act-Evo bike oil.As far as I know my 99 Roadstar has had the 20w 50 in it since new. 32,000 miles. I started out using the 10w 40 in my 2003 Goldwing. I decided to try Rotella T 5w 40 in the wing and ran it for about 3000 miles with no noticable difference in shifting or anything else. I changed when my dealer "suggested" I may have a issue with Honda if I had any clutch or engine problems. They were polite and not argumentive and so just to keep the peace, I went back to the Castrol. The cost difference between the two oils is so little that it is not an issue. What concerns me is that on this forum I can't seem to find any info on the Castrol bike oils, good or bad. So what's the word? Is this oil good , better, best or not any good at all. My dealer has been using, selling and recommending Castrol for years.I do trust their opinion but I did notice one member on this forum who had been using Castrol since the 60's and decided to change because of something he had recently discovered.Any and all opinions welcome.
Robin

Unfortunately, Castrol does not supply much in the way of specifications on their oils at the website. So its hard to make a call. Any info I've seen on older blends make them middle of the road quality.
The Rotella 5/40 is very good quality oil and many bikers are switching to it. I'm surprised you did'nt notice a smoother clutch and better power with the 5/40.
I think your dealer is misleading you. As long as the Rotella meets the recommendations in your owners manual, you are good to go and your warranty should be fine.

IMO Castrol has been involved with motorcycles and MC racing for as long as I can remember (thats along time, ouch). They always come to market with at least 4 or 5 product lines to meet specific oil needs and applications, both 2 and 4 stroke, not the "one size fits all" oils that some blenders offer. Maybe I'm wrong but I think this might mean something? I read somewhere that they have something like 18 test cells where bikes are being run almost 24/7 in testing, some of it in partnership with other companys (BMW for example). My point is castrol has the ability and knowledge to make great bike oil, is actevo great? it is MA rated and used in it's intended usage I'm sure it's as good as anything.

The Rotella has no moly, which some have said causes clutch slippage. But that's fast on its way to QMS (quashed myth status) because Mobil's new bike oils have MORE moly than their 15W50 car oil.

I'd just stick with the Rotella. If you find yourself needing a top up on the road, you can do it with Rotella 15W40 dino which is the easist HDEO to find.

Neither the dino or syn Rotella contains moly. Probably one of the best values going for guys who can get away with a 40 weight oil in their bikes...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back